Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dual Sub question

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
OK well thats a tight budget for 2 12s and an amp to run them.
Anyway, cant really go past the Pioneer's for value, heres some on Ryda as an example:

Ryda Car Audio - Pioneer TS-W308D4 12" 1400W Subwoofer($178.85)

So thats ~$350 for two 12s, they are available in either dual 4 or 2 ohm voice coils......so dual 4s will need a 1 ohm stable monoblock, dual 2s and you can do some nifty wiring to get 2 ohm.

Kenwood 9014D, a favourite of mine for value, does over 900w at 1 ohm:
Ryda Car Audio - Kenwood Car Audio KAC-9104D Car Amplifier($348.85)

If you want to stick with Pioneer for the amp, then the only option with the money left over is the D8400M, only makes 600wrms but will still push those subs ok:
Ryda Car Audio - Pioneer Car Audio GM-D8400M Car Amplifier($358.85)

Then youve also got Joe's site (shopping secure), with more options again ;)

JonnyDe

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Well, if 700 is a bit low then i guess we can go to 1000.

Its not gonna happen right now. will have to do some saving. I just wanted to know if it was better to go with dual amps or a mono block. SO far it seems that its best to go with a expensive mono block.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yeah mate definitely a large single monoblock.....does the $700/$1000 include wiring and installation, or are you going to do it yourself?

sweefu

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina V6 / R31 Skyline
Im running duel subs on a 2 channel amp
Subs are pioneer 1200 watts each 450rms
Amp is 500 watts.
Also running another amp to my 6x9's (just bragging here :D)

But if i had money to spend i would definitely buy 2 mono amps and hook up a sub to each.

Your subs need 900wrms together running off a 500watt max amp?

JonnyDe

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Il do it myself. I have already wired up one in my previous car. And im a 2nd year apprentice (at a holden dealer) so i have basic electrical knowledge.

I just dont really know about sub and amp compatabilites and that stuff. And if rather go with something different. Soundstream, boston, Rockford fosgate, Vibe, Edge. That kinda stuff. cause everyone around my area has pioneer or alpine.

i dont care too much if its not the loudest system, i just want a good quality one. But i do want dual's

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Fair enough, i can understand you wanting something different but high quality.

Look into Joe's gear then.....maybe look at the Vibe Slick 12s, single 4 ohm coils (so 2 ohm to the amp), Joe will be able to do you a better price also.

As for an amp, if you want to stay with the same brand, the Vibe Slick A7 is suitable.

So thats a total of $1300, but im sure Joe could get it close (or on) to the $1000 budget.

Theres not much info on those EDGE subwoofers, so i cant say what amp would be suitable. Theyre probably 4ohm SVC so the same as the Vibe subs above. Anyway, an amp to suit based on my assumption would be the Option Audio OAX801, has 500wrms of output at 2 ohm so a little over.kill but thats fine.

That would get you well under your $1000 budget, probably closer to $600-$650 if you twist his arm ;)

JonnyDe

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Sweet, I think il go with the Edges. I really like the orange subs. And saving a bit of cash is always good.

Next month i become a third year apprentice. so i will actually be earning a living:dance:

So around march sometime i will be making the order. Im sure within that time i can attempt at twisting Joe's arm:boxing:

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
haha, yeah he'll take some $$$ off if you buy the subs and the amp from him (tell him i said he would haha).

JonnyDe

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Just another quick question, Do you know if that Option Audio Amp has High Level speaker inputs. as I got a VE. I can always just buy a LOC. but thats another 100, and if i can get a better amp for 100 more than i think that would be better.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No, not by the look of it. Usually an amp with high level inputs will have a plug near the RCA inputs. That amp dosent.

The Cache LOCs are good quality units, far better than the high level inputs on most (if not all) amps. Plus those LOCs have signal sense, so they turn on (and the amp too) when music is on, from his site:
All of the Cache models feature a signal sense feature which allows them to activate as soon as you turn your head unit on. All the models also have a remote output which activates the amplifiers when the LOC is activated
They also have a clipping (distortion) indicator....handy when your tuning the amp ;)