Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Duel fuel black smoke

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Hi i recently got myself Vs v6 ute with duel fuel. When i first got it it ran ok but would rev up to 1500 to 2000 rpm (on gas) and very slowly drop down to around 1000rpm on start up especially on a cold morning as it got warmer it got better but would randomly do it warm. Switch to petrol and it would still do it but not as bad but unfortunately as it warmed up worse it ran. First thought bad fuel.drained and replaced that. Nope. Fuel filter? Nope. Then found a vacum diafram thingie disconnected and pluged(after the diafram thingie).. plugged it before it and made a good difference but still not perfect or close but better. This diafram thingie im assuming must have something to do with the gas system but gas is new to me so i dont know what its for or where its spoused to go. Leave the gas side alone get the petrol side fixed. Codes codes codes.1st...12-19-58-65-76 tps stuck.transfluud temp.lh rich exhst.short term fuel trim..... All i did was clean up and check all connections. Kept driving it as it was a little better and ignored check light. Finally read the codes again(i wasnt driving far or fast generally)....19.22.23.32.44.65.76.85.tps stuck.tps.mat.maf.lean fuel. lh rich exhst.short term fuel trim.85 i cant find a code that high?. Replaced tps mat maf . Alas didnt make much differance. Checked for vacum leaks with start bastard. Research tells me the ecu gets hacked into or feed data for the gas and that must be what the lambda control unit thing i found stashed in the engine bay. Anyhow i dont kniw anything really about gas systems and learning i know less about the runnings of computer run cars than i thought. Oh and if it makes any difference and i think it did a bit yhe exhaust was buggered with holy muffler until last week. I hoped fixing that would fix every other thing. No just less noisey. Checked the codes again....22.23.32.44.76. Grrrr. Anyhelp would be appreciated
Cheers Rich

jeepster

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Ute
Black smoke on LPG or petrol or both? Could be exhaust oyxgen sensor is stuffed.

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Jeepster. Yes could be oxy sensors. Hasnt brought up that code but the only other time ive had a smokey commodore that was it. Ive cleand up some second hand oxys which ill try out next time i feel up to putting in the time and effort. Thank chricky i havnt got a woman aswell(haha)
Ok anyone else got any suggestions.
Rich.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The VS V6 has the common issue of failing fuel reg.

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Ok. Thats the dobalacky on the fuel line at the r/h head? Ive got one of those in the shed.
Cheers Josh.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ok. Thats the dobalacky on the fuel line at the r/h head? Ive got one of those in the shed.
Cheers Josh.
I was going to mention you will need a SH one. They can no longer be bought new at all, unless you get very lucky. The aftermarket ones have all been used up and it is basically impossible to find new unit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Lol lucky, you might get lucky and find the fault..... Seems to be a few threads with people having issues with their Eco's running rough be it a VS or VT....., even VY's.

richrever

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs S2 V6 5,Speed Ute
Lol lucky, you might get lucky and find the fault..... Seems to be a few threads with people having issues with their Eco's running rough be it a VS or VT....., even VY's.
Just want to close this post/saga . I replaced the tps 3 times and the aic 2 times (kept getting there codes) i used half a can of maf cleaner on maf sensor and contact cleaner on all contacts AND STILL got codes and black smoke. Gradually the smoke subsided ( ON GAS)and codes havent come up again recently. I havent put it back on petrol since as i believe the gas tune is/was the problem. I know nothing about gas systems and intend on keeping it that way. Im going to sell the ute as soon as i lic the other manual ute i just got. Now for a new post..... what 5speed nanual in my Vs ?. Thanks all for your time
Cheers Rich.