Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Duel fuel=duel ecus

Patty_vnsvle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 5lt
Hi I'm currently setting up my vs ecotec ute to run duel fuel, using a gas research lpg system, with the traditional gas carbie throttle body I got off my old 5lt.

So while drawing up a wiring harness for the gas I got bored and decided to draw up a twin ecu system that switches ecus when you flick the fuel changeover button.

My question though is has anyone ever used this configuration before and if so how successful was it?

Also if there's been many if any twin throttle ecotec's running twin gas carbies?

lowandslow

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 III Monaro
I ran a modified chip/memcal socket in a standard delco 808 ECU in my VQ V8. By adding a switch which allowed me to earth one pin of the memcal gave it the ability to read from another part of the memcal - second tune.
Used it for a dedicated 98 tune and a dedicated LPG tune with my gas research TB. Worked great.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You just use a factory lpg memcal with the appropriate wiring to the ecu (just an additional wire, i think to pin a6 which adds power to activate the alternate map). That way, you can have two tunes on the one ecu. I have one of those memcals here, and i'm not sure how easy they are to come across or whether they can actually be retuned to retain the double stacked tunes or not. I'd be interested to know it it's possible though.

MACE

Reaction score
Hey Patty_vnsvle,

Hi I'm currently setting up my vs ecotec ute to run duel fuel, using a gas research lpg system, with the traditional gas carbie throttle body I got off my old 5lt.

So while drawing up a wiring harness for the gas I got bored and decided to draw up a twin ecu system that switches ecus when you flick the fuel changeover button.

My question though is has anyone ever used this configuration before and if so how successful was it?
Given you have a Holden 5L there are not factory LPG tunes available from my understanding. Short of wiring up two ECU, as lowandslow has mentioned, it would be possible to get multiple tunes on one memcal using a switch to switch between tunes. All of the hardware to be able to do this is shown in the links below.

G1 Memory Adapter: TPI ETC. [G1] - $35.00 : Moates.Net
EX Remote Switch /w/LED [EX] - $25.00 : Moates.Net
C3 AMD AM29F040B Chip [C3] - $6.00 : Moates.Net
GX Switching Adapter for 28-Pin Sockets [GX] - $40.00 : Moates.Net

Also if there's been many if any twin throttle ecotec's running twin gas carbies?
Not that I know, but would certainly like to see one if anyone has done one :)

If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Kindest Regards,
Steve

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
Also if there's been many if any twin throttle ecotec's running twin gas carbies?[/QUOTE]

Fitting up twin GRA carby's is tricky as even with twin 350 carby's this adds up to about 700cfm air flow at WOT , makes for slow air movement thru both carby's and low draw rates over the mixer sections across the rev range .

dobesz

355ssute
Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ss ute
You can run twin tunes on the delco computer without running two computers, was a guy doing it few years ago on street commodores, was going to do it to my ute untill i realised what i was building was probably drea,ing thinking it would be a duel fuel daily lol

Patty_vnsvle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 5lt
Hi guys thanks for your responses just thought I should clarify when I say ecotec I'm talking about the 3.8lt v6 so would that hardware still be suitable the 1996 vs computer?

Patty_vnsvle

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs 5lt
And yes I'm well aware that that getting the correct balance tuning two gas carbies would be difficult but as long as you've got the right metering rods and jets you're ah pretty well right.

I should mention I'm using a g.r.a. 480 throttle body with c.l.p. system recycled from my v8 ute. ( I wasn't going to bother with twin carbies on the v6 unless I win tattslotto and can afford a stroker kit at the same time too lol)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yes you can fit a larger eprom in vs and switch upto 4 tunes if requiredor fit the stock factory lpg memcal.i can supply an lpg memcal if required

vsv6dude

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6 wagon
Hypothetical question.

Reading through above is it possible using an LPG memcal can you have dedicated tunes for 2 octanes eg. one of 91ron and 98ron unleaded and install this set up such that the computer can to read either table simultaneously and select from the either tune WITHOUT a switch.

I am guessing as both fuels are unleaded just different octanes levels the pump doesn't need to be switched off etc and can be used slightly different to an LPG setup.

Or is the Factory VS computer to primitive and unable to read either simultaneously AND with this setup do you NEED a switch to select which octane table you are proposing to use.

Last edited: