Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

calais24/7

Mucca Mad Boys
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
lol@me propping up this thread...

i sprayed myself directly in the eyes with WD40 cos i didnt realise that the nossle was pointed sideways at my face.

Maybe a count for this to, i have done it numerous times :p and always threw the can cuase i crack the shits and then lol later on. So its up to 2

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
About 4 years ago I got my ring finger burnt pretty badly when I was being really lazy. Removing the wire cable from the altenator (dual batteries still connected of course!!) undoing the nut and my ring made contact with the body and the spanner was making contact with the finger and WHAM. Copped a heap of pain and burnt the ring onto my finger. Gold is a great conductor of electricity. Still missing some skin from under the ring. Wife was laughing her ass off of course.

jeez consider yourself lucky mate, cant remember if this story was from here or my auto elec lecturer but apparently someone was pulling a starter motor off an engine an forgot to disconnect the battery, so when the spanner he was using touched the main batt cable and his ring which touched the chassis, the ring got hot so i think he pulled his hand away which probably would of been welded to the chassis which resulted in all the skin on his finger been pulled off cause of the hot ring.

Kirbs

L plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS II
Think they call that degloved or something aye? Some fella did that at our school a while ago using a woodwork tool. Hit his ring and ripped half his finger off

PORT3R

WTB: 1 money tree
Reaction score
Members Ride
5L VQ stato
I tested if the cigarette lighters in my new car worked...

.... with my finger.....:banstick:

Tw11ga

Reaction score
Members Ride
'98 VT Exec Manual
I was was fiddling around putting some neons in my old VR and had cut the wires to extend them from the inverter. Lost concentration and picked a wire up in each hand with it all connected and on. Shocked the baajezzus outta me and being AC current think it messed with the ticker as my chest hurt for a while after

VKCOMMO

Carpark Mechanic.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 T5, '77 BMW 320i e21, and a pair of Nike Air
lol i suddenly feel less useless lol, unfortunately when i did mine i had just finished moments ago unbolting the drivers seat so as i yanked the wheel off ( both hands as it was giving me a hard time) it hit me square in the face (leaving a nice red mark) i lent back on the chair and it tipped over and i managed to hit myself with the wheel again in the exact same spot , and i haven't been bothered working on the corona again since cause every time me and my mate get together to work on it that story comes up much to my embarrassment

i just lol'd for about 5 mins

so i have filled my oil catch can, something like 60 liters of old black yuk oil. so to drain this puppy you have to put the drain hose in an empty oil drum, seal the drain pipe, hook it up to the compressor and wait till oil the oil is blown out.

one thing i didnt do is lock the drain hose onto the oil drum. was standing right next to the thing when this happened.
Image0008.jpg

in this one you can see the spot where i was standing cos' there is a patch of floor with no oil on it.
Image0009.jpg

the hose came out of the drum and sprayed oil everywhere took me the rest of the day to clean it up

i have more but will wait
and about 15 on this. lol

Last edited:

jakbob

Lighten up.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, VC L, VK Vacationer
I was pulling the mechanical fuel pump off the 202 I pulled out of my VC so I could transfer it to the new motor. I had the bolts out but it was still stuck on pretty tight so I stood directly over it and thumped it a couple of times. As it came away from the block it fired a jet of petrol directly into my eye. Well it burned like all hell. I was racing around swearing and yelling and half blind, I managed to find a water bottle in the car to wash my eye, then I ended up using a tap, then in the end I had to stick my head in a bucket to wash it all out. I probably should have gone to hospital but I spend a lot of time washing it out and its been fine ever since.

Dz811

Just some p-plater
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6
Pulled the back seats out of my car, then cleaned them, put them back in and forgot to pull the seatbelts around before bolting them in....
accidentally used diesel engine oil when changing, and burnt my hand when pulling the oil filter out (because I used my fingers).
And of course me and dad had half a fit coz we couldn't start the car when we first bought it, took us 20 mins to figure out as a safety u have to push the clutch in when starting it up, u can't just start it in neutral :(

Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VN Commodore
couple of days ago the speedo stoped working in my VN so i checked error codes and code 24 came up (vehicle speed sensor) so i got under the car and unbolted the speed sensor in the side of the auto trans and jiggled it out, i dident know there was trans fluid beheind it, so i droped 5L or so of trans fluid all over the road and on myslef