Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Scooter79, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jafo

jafo lurker since 2003

Members Ride:
    1999 wh statesman
    best one i ever did was help a mate replace his headlight globes in his vt commodore
    as the drivers side is the hardest to do i did this first then went to the passenger side
    installed both globes went to test if they were working and nothing
    so said to mate why wont they work?
    he said you might want to put the battery back in the car

i felt like a tool

2. GenFree

GenFree Member

Members Ride:
    VX L67 S
    A while ago I went to light the lighter in the dark under the boot to check the level of the fuel cell,a mate seen me and jumped in before I lit it.

Without a doubt the most stupidist and dangerous thing I have done car related.

3. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    just spent $50 on a brand new voltage regular when it was a $2 fuseable link... oh well the regulator was due soon anyway...

4. Rusty

Rusty ٩(-̮̮̃•̃)۶

Members Ride:
    Vt with VU/VZ bits
  5. mattytess

mattytess Member

Members Ride:
    vp berlina
    Was working on a Mates ute and tried to lower it in the rear by putting in blocks. After a few drinks we were up to undoing the U bolts and had the car jack up by the diff. When the Last nut was loosen by me under the car it dropped a few inches until the diff hit the chasie. Not before smacking my head and leaving me practically shitting myself as to what just happen and could of happen had I been closer to the chase rail. beer and car mods are never a good combination. :)

6. kingswood country

kingswood country Active Member

Members Ride:
    hj kingswood
    Rebuilt the motor and box in a wb, put the motor back in to get it started to flat tow down the auto shop to get the auto fitted, spent hours working out why it wouldn't fire, starter come off twice to check it off a battery, when father inlaw walked past and asked if the shifter had to be on park, sure enough started. We didn't think about that as the box wasn't in the car, the auto safety switch is though....

7. kingswood country

kingswood country Active Member

Members Ride:
    hj kingswood
    My dad had his **** box ford on a hoist doing a service, told his apprentice to hold the lead to check the spark, the dumb arse done all six leads, they're both cabinet makers

8. Low06VZ

Low06VZ New Member

Members Ride:
    2004 WK HSV Grange #120
    Ok here goes, read more than enough to think i'm not the only one out there thats done something stupid.

1. XF falcon with a digital speedo, not working. Spent 8 days removing all wires and tracing everything before realising the earth wire had broken about 1" from the negative terminal.

2. Toyota hilux with 253, wouldn't start (i'd broken the trigger wire), Forgot it was in gear when i jumped the starter to test it, apparently dad pissed himself laughin at the sight of my hilux idling outta the garage with me still under the bonnet.

3. Rear wheel bearings on AU falcons are a big 1 piece dual race setup. I'd replaced a couple and then got one that left part of the race on the hub. Not to worry i just got the oxy out, a little heat and then chiselled it off. New bearing in place, all back together. I got about 180km before the cast hub shattered. End result, a new hub $500, a 2hr wait in Charlton and a 9hr ride home in the tow truck.

4. 1993 Toyota landcruiser, constant 4WD system. Had to replace the rear unis but also needed to get to work. Pulled the rear tail shaft and locked the centre diff. Man talk about torque steer in one of those things, lol.

The lastest would be friday night, whilst changing the rear springs on the VZ, wheel off, jacked it up, shocker removed. Still couldn't get the ass to drop low enough to get the spring out, it was at this point my mate asked if i had the handbrake on. Well of course, leant into the car and let it off, promptly wedging my mates hand between the rotor and the wheel under it.

9. SP00KSTER

SP00KSTER New Member

Members Ride:
    VS UTE, HT MONARO REBUILD
    pulled passenger side door handle apart to fix becuase it wasnt opening the door, after pulling it all apart and fixing the problem, hook had come out of handle holder, i put everything back together stuck the door card back on and closed the door. tried to open it up and it didn't work. about 2 weeks later when i could be bothered to fix it the problem was that i forgot to put the push pin on the handle into the actual mechanism. what a waste of time.

10. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    oh i almost forgot the classic one i did last week. my passenger side mirror didnt work so i grabbed one i had in the garage that had no mirror glass in it. tried to take the mirror glass from the non working one and broke it. took the door apart to take the mirror off and saw that i hadent plugged it in from when i fixed the power window motor couple months back. so i just broke a mirror that there was no problem with... and now had 2 mirrors that work with no mirror glass...

11. 87RB30VL

87RB30VL Swiggidy Swag

Members Ride:
    09' FG XR6 Falcon, 75' HJ Kingswood Ute
    I tried to start my auto VL in reverse today, took a few minutes to realize it was in gear hahaha

12. LittleMissVE

LittleMissVE New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Clubsport
    I do that in my mum's car all the time. I've only ever had manual cars, used to starting it in whatever gear I want... Nearly every time I forget to put auto's into park then panic when it won't start.

Never actually worked on a car in my life, apart from changing a couple fuses or light bulbs in the old VT.

Not very clever with that kinda thing. Only just worked out the other day I was able to lock all the doors by pressing a button inside the car (other than my keys).

13. Dr HaxZaw

Dr HaxZaw New Member

Members Ride:
    R34 GT-T
    Seeing as theres a common theme here with auto's am i the only one who feels like a dumbass when you go to hit the clutch in an auto?

14. LittleMissVE

LittleMissVE New Member

Members Ride:
    VE Clubsport
    Nope. Do it nearly every time. Feel even more stupid when I grab the gear stick when I start to slow down or take off...

15. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  16. Stressball

Stressball Rolling on 4 again :D

Members Ride:
    Mitsubishi Triton
    What about your no-longer-functioning Silverado BCM? Shouldn't that be in here too? :p

17. myvyute

myvyute New Member

Members Ride:
    vy II calais
    i had being at work for 2 months and got the job of servicing the work ute, anyways in the pit under the ute and dropped the gearbox oil (not even realising). punched a hole in the oil filter and fitted a new one. jumped up top and put about 5 litres in the motor. checked the dip stick and it was way over the full mark. couldnt work out what was going on. so i put another 3 litres in the ute. checked the dip stick again and it was still over the full mark. jumped back under neath the ute to realise that i had drained the gearbox. felt like the biggest dick. but still get a laugh out of it now haha

18. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR

lol, turns out that even even though the silverado has two batterys, one of them goes flat and the other.. just kinda sits there. so yeah, no blown bcm's toady ;)

19. Lazyr8

Lazyr8 Member

Members Ride:
    VYII R8 CLUBSPORT VE SS v2 monaro hsv avalanche 46
    had my stereo on the other day while i was working on my vr was taking out the cluster to fix acommon problem lazy fuel gauge
    anyway somehow i blew Indicator relay,later broke the black econ button surround ( fixed with super glue) and knocked a desktop off a desk not related to car but still was a **** day and full of fail.

upside is i fixed the fuel gauge :rofl2:

20. GTS-Replica

GTS-Replica Full Members

Members Ride:
    VE Calais V International / VS GTS-R Replica!
    Put a vr cluster in a vn... i shed my self it smoked up hard never again...