Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

red_vb

i am a she, not a he...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vb
omg ari666 you always bring a tear to my eye in this thread.:rofl2:
this is by far the best thread.
this didn't happen while i was working on my car, it happened when i asked my son to get his stuff out of the boot and while he was, i walked behind to get my stuff out then ouch he pulled/dropped the boot on my back...

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
^lol what? How do you have no idea how to put your leads back on :p V6s are so simple!! Learn from this, write numbers on your coil packs, and the v6 goes 1,3,5 front to rear on one bank, then 2,4,6 front to rear on the other, look at your inlet manifold, the front most runner is cylinder number 1.

Sam

nathanVY

such boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY LS1 Turbo Calais, 2005 4Gen Liberty Wagon
^lol what? How do you have no idea how to put your leads back on :p V6s are so simple!! Learn from this, write numbers on your coil packs, and the v6 goes 1,3,5 front to rear on one bank, then 2,4,6 front to rear on the other, look at your inlet manifold, the front most runner is cylinder number 1.

Sam

haha yeah I know this now, just had to have a bit of a look on here and found out what it was. and my leads weren't labeled, probably should label them.

didn't know about the front cylinder being number 1, thanks for that.

FuzzY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais 5lt
i started mine with 4 spark plug leads disconnected (i forgot to put them back on) and i actually got it started, it wasn't very happy.

Would barely rev and didn't like idling lol

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

SS245

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
I just did the new rotors and pads on my VZ and we (me and the old man) put one of the rears pads on round the wrong way. Ate the brand new disc. Was not a happy camper.

Also after doing an oil change on my n13 pulsar took it for a drive, then decided i would check and see if everything was going alright in there. I didn't think to turn the engine off and as soon as i lifted the cap off oil, big splat of oil right in the face and all through the engine bay. Once i got the oil out of my eyes all i could see was this cloud of smoke out of the engine bay.

Wombles

Cars cost too much.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'72 LJ Torana, '95 VS Acclaim and V8 wagon
One time, I was laying in the boot, with my legs hanging out.
I was changing the boot struts. Took one of and the boot falls onto my knee. "OW F*CK!"
Guess what I forgot to do?

Was changing the Transmission fluid at my missus' uncles house. He thought, oh yea lets get the front of the transmission to start the draining. Work all around the tranny, start loosening the rear ones with most of the other bolts out and the fronts almost out, then I get dripped all over with tranny fluid and grab the drain tray. Sit there for a few minutes, call Sam (Missus uncle) to move the drums to hold the drain tray.
Not to self. Always put drain tray under the rear section of tranny when changing oil.

At Tafe, took out a Dihatsu motor and gear box, had to remove gear box and clutch. Get that done fine.
Start putting the clutch back together, read the specifications on it, get a tension wrench and start tensioning it, almost got it to tension, one more push, push and then SNAP! bye bye bolt. Start again on clutch and remove stud. Lesson learnt, read specs correctly.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
as soon as i lifted the cap off oil, big splat of oil right in the face and all through the engine bay
Does that really happen?? I've taken oil caps off before with motors idling and nothing ever shot out... ?

That reminds me though, I was once putting in a car battery and it must have been overfilled or something but either way a jet of battery acid shot me right in the eye. Not sure whether I should be grateful it was my less perfect eye.. the one that KEEPS getting squirted with ****.

One time, I was laying in the boot, with my legs hanging out.
I was changing the boot struts. Took one of and the boot falls onto my knee. "OW F*CK!"
Guess what I forgot to do?
lololol, I've done that too :D

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
Does that really happen??

yup, SR's dont have much in the way of splash shielding under the cap, you can actually see one of the rockers through the filler cap. i have done the same myself, although mine was more starting the car to circulate the oil and fill the filter, totally forgot about the cap, stop the car go to check the dipstick, spend the next 1/2 hour with a rag cleaning oil spray off a freshly detailed engine bay :(

and on the boot falling down note, and this is really stupid, toyota aristos have a MASSIVLY heavy bonnet and two struts to hold them up. after around 2 years the struts die and they no longer stay up. after around 5 years the bonnets drop in freefall speed. anyway i am used to that so i use blocks of wood wedged up near the windscreen to hold them up.

one day i had finished working on one and decided to take the block of wood out. wasnt holding the bonnet up and it slammed down on my head. the bonnets curve around to mount the front grille so they have a guillotine kinda effect goin' on. it had about a foot to gain momentum too, f'ing hurts man.