Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dumb things you've done working on a car?

Lamby22

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Put a instrument cluster connector in the wrong way... = SMOKE

Yay :yahoo:

God damn it lol.

The Darkness

Junk Yard Dog
Reaction score
Members Ride
Charged VT V6 A4
ok lets see, putting directional tyres on the wrong way,
put new seats in a car, did the passenger one up, went and had lunch. needed to go for a drive so jumped in the drivers seat and ended up in the back seat.
bought a car that wasnt running. replaced everything till i realised that the leads wernt on right.
my mate tried using a round file as a chisel. yelled at him just before he was about to strike it with the hammer
not a car but have a quad that to kill it you need to touch the kill switch wires together. grabbed the live wire and jumped a few feet back

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
lol, just thouht of another one involving oil:

GTR's have a spastic oil filter location, right under the inlet plenum and you need triple jointed arms to get a grip on them. anyway, with a normal car you can take the filter off on the hoist and stick the drain tank under it for a few minutes, but not the GTR cos you can only access it from the top under the bonnet. so you hoist it a foot or so, put a bucket under it where the oil flows then take it off, lift the car drop the sump plug and stick the drain can under it.

ok, so on this day the 40ltr bucket i use was half full of old oil, but i though it wouldnt matter cos' the filter only drops a half a liter or so. so im reaching in twisting, cutting my arm on the razor sharp hose clamps and zip ties finally get the filter off, quickly drop to the floor to check all the oils going in the bucket, "yep, all good" get a phone call, totally distracted, go upstairs do something else. come back to the car 20 or so minutes later "what was i doing again? oh yeah taking the car off the hoist lower the car all the way to the floor with the bucket of 10 or so litres in it still underneath. the bucket crushes with an almighty CRACK. you can guess the rest.

...1 bag of kitty-litter later

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Fixing up the VL one day I tucked the aircon hose up and out of the way thinking it would be OK. Nope mid way through tightning a hose clamp thing comes flying out straight into my head. Hurt like hell too because it had the connector which is supposed to go on the compressor. Was dizzy for a bit but was OK.

Oh and another one. For a laugh decided I would paint my bonnet black on the VR. Thought I would be Mr. Professional and take it off the car. Putting it back on after painting bang one of the corners straight into the windscreen causing me to have to buy another one that cost $210.

lil_mickey

LOUD AND PROUD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH 253 :-)
lol, just thouht of another one involving oil:

GTR's have a spastic oil filter location, right under the inlet plenum and you need triple jointed arms to get a grip on them. anyway, with a normal car you can take the filter off on the hoist and stick the drain tank under it for a few minutes, but not the GTR cos you can only access it from the top under the bonnet. so you hoist it a foot or so, put a bucket under it where the oil flows then take it off, lift the car drop the sump plug and stick the drain can under it.

ok, so on this day the 40ltr bucket i use was half full of old oil, but i though it wouldnt matter cos' the filter only drops a half a liter or so. so im reaching in twisting, cutting my arm on the razor sharp hose clamps and zip ties finally get the filter off, quickly drop to the floor to check all the oils going in the bucket, "yep, all good" get a phone call, totally distracted, go upstairs do something else. come back to the car 20 or so minutes later "what was i doing again? oh yeah taking the car off the hoist lower the car all the way to the floor with the bucket of 10 or so litres in it still underneath. the bucket crushes with an almighty CRACK. you can guess the rest.

...1 bag of kitty-litter later

LMFAO... :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:
I have to help with you next oil change...

I NEED to see it... :rofl2::rofl2::rofl2:

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
where do i start....., i was taking the turbo off a hilux, and if anyones seen them the manifold bolts are behind it and you have to lean in to get to them, well the spanner slipped and my hand hit the firewall, in anger i punched the metal boost pipe, as i punched it, i hit the bonnet stand with my elbow, then the bonnet came down and hit me over the head, while my father coudnt stop laughing for atleast 15 minutes....... and i shattered 2 knuckles in my right hand from the puch :(

detox_nath83

Another VL Driver
Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Turbo Commo
hahaha fair job vn_v6....

Touched the turbo exhaust housing for too long when i got home after work today while nipping up the oil drain bolts (dont try this while too bloody hot) now looks like i have a worm under my skin Ewww

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
and i shattered 2 knuckles in my right hand from the puch :(

ahhh hahahahah!!! i love this thread. makes me feel a little less clumsy

ok, so this afternoon i fitted a HEI dizzy to my impala (PSSSST! POST COMMENTS ON MY IMPALA THREAD!) *clears throat* so, this is kinda hard to explain... i was trying to figure out 'where the dizzy was' so was lifting the dizzy, turning the rotor button then putting the cap back on and checking the timing with the timing light, then lifting the dizzy, taking the cap back off, turning the rotor etc. to figure out how far off the initial timing is.

now, i have been zapped by coil power wires, and i have been zapped by a spark plug wire while the car is running, but i have NEVER been zapped by the rotor button inside the cap. i left the stupid positive wire i ran from the battery to the coil attached while i was lifting the dizzy out so i could turn the rotor a few degrees. my hand managed to touch the center of the dizzy as i was turning it and it kinda triggered the coil, but it stayed triggered and made my hand stick to it so the pain lasted a little bit longer than necessary.

best way i can describe it is about 2 and a half seconds of pure ear ringing and left-hand-side-of-your-body numbness. lovely. this is why we choose to work on cars for fun

vn_v6

Blumpkin
Reaction score
Members Ride
87 vl limited edition
this is kinda off topic, but i was working on my old computer, and i wanted to test if the poerbox was geting voltage, to i stripped 2 wires( that had 240 in them lmao) and went to put the multimeter on it, but the wires kept moving, so i grabbed one with my hand, and with the multimeter touched the other (my hand was touching the metal multimeter stem) and it shot me across the room, all the lights in my house turned off, and i sat there for a little while wondering wtf happened.....

and AIR666 you have quite a few haha, do you still have all of your limbs in top condition lmao?

comaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs esteem S2 manual
Pouring a decent 4 liters of oil into the engine before realising the sump plugs still out or
testing the spark when my arm came to contact with the strut brace, Buzz.