Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

DVC Sub Wiring Question?

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hey all, I have an option Audio Pro Series Sub (800w RMS) (Specs Here http://www.optionaudio.com/specs/12PRO11.pdf)

And i have a kicker ZX350.4 amp (Plan to replace it with a decent monoblock eventually)

Noteworthy Specs 175 x2 @4Ω

I opened the sub box up yesterday and noticed that the 2 voice coild were running in series (see pic below) so they are running at 8Ω the whole time i've had the sub i thought the coils where in parallel @ 2Ω.

So my proposed plan is below and im just asking for thoughts if this would be the best thing to do for the time being, until i get a decent monoblock, and would i get a noticeable performance increase.

sub.jpg

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Running at a lower ohm will increase the output at the amp, which will make the sub louder. Well that's my understanding of it anyway

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Running at a lower ohm will increase the output at the amp, which will make the sub louder. Well that's my understanding of it anyway

I half knew that lower ohms = more power basically (ohms law). so would i be better off running one coil per 175w channel on the amp @4 ohms (pic above) or would i be better off chucking the 2 coils in parallel making them 2 ohms and running them off just off one 175w channel?

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
Hmm Im not quite sure and don't want to give you the wrong info.
But I'd go with the second picture :s

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hmm Im not quite sure and don't want to give you the wrong info.
But I'd go with the second picture :s

Hmmmm, i might just leave it as is for a bit, as i spent far to long running new speaker wire from the rear doors to my boot yesterday.

Thanks for the help.

Also welcome to more opinions :p

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Do not ever wire the coils to seperate channels either. A sub is one, (mono) so you can only ever connect it to one channel. No matter what configuration you wire your voice coils in, it's still the one driver, both coils will move at the same time.

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
ahh, ok cheers for that, i wasn't sure about how to wire coils. they are definitely staying as is though, until i get a better amp.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
The 175 x 2 rating when bridged is at 4 ohm.

Your sub can either be wired for 8 ohm or 2 ohm, so neither load is suitable, or safe, to be presented to your amp. Amps will run at both higher or lower impedance levels for some amount of time, how long depends on the type of amp, quality, and it's intended application.

My advice is if you want to hang on to either your sub, or your amp, is that you disconnect both of them immedaitely and don't use either until they are paired correctly.

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
The 175 x 2 rating when bridged is at 4 ohm.

Your sub can either be wired for 8 ohm or 2 ohm, so neither load is suitable, or safe, to be presented to your amp. Amps will run at both higher or lower impedance levels for some amount of time, how long depends on the type of amp, quality, and it's intended application.

My advice is if you want to hang on to either your sub, or your amp, is that you disconnect both of them immedaitely and don't use either until they are paired correctly.

stupid advice.

leave it as is with the coils in series, and the channels bridged.

it gives the sub the same power as if you wired 1 coil per channel, and means each channel is running at 4 ohm, which is perfectly fine, and well within the amps limits, meaning it should never overheat.

WHYtheFACE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
stupid advice.

leave it as is with the coils in series, and the channels bridged.

it gives the sub the same power as if you wired 1 coil per channel, and means each channel is running at 4 ohm, which is perfectly fine, and well within the amps limits, meaning it should never overheat.

Well im probably getting a 600w option audio mono block within the next week or so, and i've been running the sub and amp like this for over 4 months and at most the amps gotten warm