Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dying harddrive!

VS-S

Fruiterer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S
Hi guys I currently have a 2TB WD harddrive which I think is dying and everything I have is on there. Is there anyway of just copying everything to the a new one (which I'll eventually get) or should I just copy my movies, photos and music and install a fresh Windows on the new harddrive?

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
What makes you think it's dying? Run something like Seagate seatools to verify.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
If in doubt swap it out. Disk is cheap. Analysis tools can get it wrong. You can clone the drive using freeware like TodoBackup. I always recommend using free online services for critical data, like Skydrive, Dropbox or Google, then if a disk shits, who cares?

If you're paranoid about cloud, do what I do and use Truecrypt containers.

If there's nothing wrong with the existing disk you can use it for backups too. You can never have enough redundancy, trouble is folk don't often realise til it's too late.

VS-S

Fruiterer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S
Thanks Pollushon, I let the disk check run over night. Before that I tried to defrag, but it says the disk has errors.

I've just turned on my PC and now I've tried to defrag it again to see if there was still errors, but now it's working! Looks like it just needed a mass cleanup of files and what not. I'll still probably end up buy another harddrive, because why not? Haha 12 harddrive slots.

Thanks again.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
task scheduler is your friend..... defrags should be done on a regular basis if you constantly move files around and install and uninstall ****. Winblows default defrag is not too bad for most people.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
task scheduler is your friend..... defrags should be done on a regular basis if you constantly move files around and install and uninstall ****. Winblows default defrag is not too bad for most people.

Windows 7 and 8 defrag in the background. When I know a hard drive is dodgy I use Unstoppable Copier. Will detect errors and let you know so you can continue or skip files etc.

VS-S

Fruiterer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S
Windows 7 and 8 defrag in the background. When I know a hard drive is dodgy I use Unstoppable Copier. Will detect errors and let you know so you can continue or skip files etc.

I'm using AVG Tuneup. Don't know how that compares to Unstoppable Copier.

wraith

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm using AVG Tuneup. Don't know how that compares to Unstoppable Copier.

AVG Tuneup sucks. Don't waste your time with it.