Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dying harddrive!

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
As Wraith said Windows 7 and 8 can be just left to their own devices, they do a decent enough job of organisation and are clever enough to leave SSD's alone. In cases where you're storing multimedia, like movies TV shows and music, fragmentation rarely becomes an issue as they are (often large) contiguous blocks.

AVG Tune Up and UC are two different things. AVG Tune Up is rubbish, the W7/8/8.1 OS is good enough to manage and 'optimise' itself. UC I've used before it's quite good, but I tend to go with *nix based live boots that do raw copies nicely or in desperate times Q&X. That said my speciality is EMC storage (Symmetrix, CLARiiON) and backups (Avamar, Networker, TSM) so I've never found myself in a predicament because I'm storage redundancy and backup autistic :)

VS-S

Fruiterer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S
As Wraith said Windows 7 and 8 can be just left to their own devices, they do a decent enough job of organisation and are clever enough to leave SSD's alone. In cases where you're storing multimedia, like movies TV shows and music, fragmentation rarely becomes an issue as they are (often large) contiguous blocks.

AVG Tune Up and UC are two different things. AVG Tune Up is rubbish, the W7/8/8.1 OS is good enough to manage and 'optimise' itself. UC I've used before it's quite good, but I tend to go with *nix based live boots that do raw copies nicely or in desperate times Q&X. That said my speciality is EMC storage (Symmetrix, CLARiiON) and backups (Avamar, Networker, TSM) so I've never found myself in a predicament because I'm storage redundancy and backup autistic :)

Wow I have no idea what you are talking about lol. Sorry, I'm not that much of a computer wiz, but usually learn new stuff when things go wrong.
How do I use UC?

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Sorry man. Jist of my advice is; be preventative, not reactive. Grab a spare drive, cloud account, then backup stuff important to you. Sure all the tools in the world are great at insight and analysis, but when **** happens sometimes it just goes boom.

Not sure you need UC at this stage, you'd only use it to copy files from a physically dying HDD. We haven't ascertained yours is dying, have we?

VS-S

Fruiterer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S
Sorry man. Jist of my advice is; be preventative, not reactive. Grab a spare drive, cloud account, then backup stuff important to you. Sure all the tools in the world are great at insight and analysis, but when **** happens sometimes it just goes boom.

Not sure you need UC at this stage, you'd only use it to copy files from a physically dying HDD. We haven't ascertained yours is dying, have we?

All good. I like preventing stuff before they get worse. And the harddrive seems to be back to normal operation after scanning registries and what not. Thanks for your help.

zersys

Bolt Snapper
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series II/BMW '02 E39 530i
HDD Scan - excellent tool. Hasn't let me down, and every time it's found an error the disk ends up dying.

Run a S.M.A.R.T check on your disk with it, if you get any errors then replace the disk. If it comes clean run a surface test and see if you've got any bad blocks, if you have bad blocks then replace the disk.