Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno results vs W310 pack = at the wheels?

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 1 Commodore SSV Redline
referring to my other thread regarding the upgrade to my SSV Redline -
Xforce cat back + HSV headers and cats + VCM OTR + Tune = 259.5kw at the wheels.
Can anyone throw any insight (guess) on how this likely converts to kw rating "at the flywheel" as I understand the Walky 310 is based on a flywheel rating? not rear wheel?
Curious how my 259.5 result might compare to the Walky 310 results??

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wheel numbers can vary by plus or minus 20% depending on calibration ... wheel measurements are a comparison tool, you can't read much into an absolute figure.

So imagine a standard car, which will have close to 304kW at the flywheel, measures 200kW at the wheels before mods. Then within a day or two, after mods you get a wheel measurement of 250kW. This is a real 25% increase, so you could extrapolate about 376kW at the flywheel.

To determine what increase over standard your figure of 260kW at the wheels represents, you need to know what the same dyno used to read for the standard car. There's a rough-guide rule-of-thumb that says flywheel,power will be close to around 130% of wheel horsepower, so very roughly you're looking at aomething near 330kW or thereabouts, but there's tens-of-kilowatts +/- in inaccuracy in that guesstimate.

Towcar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon
Also really depends on the car as to what the drive train losses are, generally a newer car should have more efficient transmission so you could expect the ratio to be a little different, the same with auto vs manual.

260RWKW seems on par with what others have seen from an LS2 with your mods.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
as above thats about right for the combo you have manuals are a little higher, do you have a w310 or are you just wondering about the comparison?

JumboJim

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 1 Commodore SSV Redline
I was just wondering about the comparison to W310 that's all. As it's an upgrade promoted by Holden Dealers, I was curious how my DIY effort compared.

markalan1two

Smile and wave boys !!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
X5 BMW, GenF2 GTS, HSV Y R8, AMG C43
i'll say you have done well and saved some money along the way

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Going by published figures on engine dyno vs chassis dyno on our car, auto drivetrain loss is 27%. So 330 at the wheels, well done.

NewbC4KE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart
Good evening,

Hope this helps you. I just recently had some performance modifications done on my VF W310 by a performance tuner in Blackburn, VIC

According to their dyno the Walkinshaw tune returned a reading of 245KW at the wheels.

Post W310
- Proprietary Tune
- CNC Ported Heads
- Cam shaft
- OTR Intake

returned a reading of 323KW at the wheels.