Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno Run Gone Wrong?

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
i dont fully agree with that either as cars with big turbo's can do a crap mph due to turbo lag but put out big hp..
A turbo setup will do the oposite of what you said. They will have a crap 60' and crap ET with massive MPH with large amounts of lag.
If you are running a huge turbo on a car it's more then likely a drag car, so it will have a 2 step setup, big convertor and a transbrake so lag isn't a problem, just takes a long time to come up on the convertor.

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
As has already been said MPH at the 1/4 mile dyno is a direct translation to HP. There are no variables. There are variables when it comes to E/T (traction, diff gears, tyre size, convertor etc. etc.) but MPH will always be the same.

For arguements sake, i went 13.8 (might have been 14.0, been a long time) with my old blown V6 in my car on street tyres, then bolted slicks on and went 13.4. However, both runs were at the same 102MPH. This is because the power was the same. The only thing that had changed was the traction. So, i got over the line at the same speed, but i got to the line faster. That's how the drag strip works.

Also, reaction time has nothing to do with either E/T or MPH, it is simply the amount of time between the green light dropping and the car breaking the starting beams.

Dynos are easily fudged and as such are nothing more than a tuning tool (as Cava said). MPH can never be fudged.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
As has already been said MPH at the 1/4 mile dyno is a direct translation to HP. There are no variables. There are variables when it comes to E/T (traction, diff gears, tyre size, convertor etc. etc.) but MPH will always be the same.

For arguements sake, i went 13.8 (might have been 14.0, been a long time) with my old blown V6 in my car on street tyres, then bolted slicks on and went 13.4. However, both runs were at the same 102MPH. This is because the power was the same. The only thing that had changed was the traction. So, i got over the line at the same speed, but i got to the line faster. That's how the drag strip works.

Also, reaction time has nothing to do with either E/T or MPH, it is simply the amount of time between the green light dropping and the car breaking the starting beams.

Dynos are easily fudged and as such are nothing more than a tuning tool (as Cava said). MPH can never be fudged.

Spot on. Time and time again u see all these tuned ls1's with 280rwkw blah blah blah and then they struggle to run 110mph

Remind how much power you make haha

vyseriesII

The Blessed Hellride
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VyS S2 Blown
lol, well its clearly not that great if its saying chevy got the injectors wrong on a motor they had designed and built.

i would read it but really CBF

Clearly its just a case of the injectors chosen and paired with your motor by chevy are capable of doing whats necessary. The injector calculator is just a guide

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yeah problem is that that calculator only works at one fuel pressure, where every car runs different.