Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno tune plus power run.

myute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute 304 t5
so whats the best to get power is it woryh doin the chip and tune?
who does it in brissie?

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
Guys i dont mean to sound rude but what the f*ck are you doing getting a custom chip with just a exaust and filter ??? A custom chip should be the very LAST MOD you do to your car. Because if you got it tuned and then changed your diff gears or intake or manifold, you would have to get it tuned again to get the full potential out of it. Then each mod you do after that, you would have to get it tuned again. It is best to do all your mods first and then only get a custom chip done at the end.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Guys i dont mean to sound rude but what the f*ck are you doing getting a custom chip with just a exaust and filter ??? A custom chip should be the very LAST MOD you do to your car. Because if you got it tuned and then changed your diff gears or intake or manifold, you would have to get it tuned again to get the full potential out of it. Then each mod you do after that, you would have to get it tuned again. It is best to do all your mods first and then only get a custom chip done at the end.

Completley right, the chip i have in now is re-progamable, so it cost dyno time to change it now i don't have to pay for the chip again. So basically i only wasted about $300 by getting it dyno tuned after the exhaust, but no other mods were planned for 12 months atleast after buying the exhaust. It would have come close to paying itself of in fuel saving alone in that time and it was a much better car to drive during that time.

now i've just had the diff done and the i was planning on getting the cam done (rethinking that at the moment) at which time i'ld need to get the chip canged to suit the cam. So if i get the cam done the place i got the chip will re-program mine so that it will run the new cam, and i can save on the kit cause i don't have to worry about getting there chip just to get to a dyno to have it tuned.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Completley right, the chip i have in now is re-progamable, so it cost dyno time to change it now i don't have to pay for the chip again. So basically i only wasted about $300 by getting it dyno tuned after the exhaust, but no other mods were planned for 12 months atleast after buying the exhaust. It would have come close to paying itself of in fuel saving alone in that time and it was a much better car to drive during that time.

now i've just had the diff done and the i was planning on getting the cam done (rethinking that at the moment) at which time i'ld need to get the chip canged to suit the cam. So if i get the cam done the place i got the chip will re-program mine so that it will run the new cam, and i can save on the kit cause i don't have to worry about getting there chip just to get to a dyno to have it tuned.

lol ohhh a "special" reprogrammable chip.
sorry but all are reprogrammable

Rob

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
I have know doubt you know what your talking about but can you let the rest of us know so we don't make miss guided mistakes.

Every place i spoke to said that the stock chip could not be re-programmed but a new one could be burnt.

Lots of places told me that it was better to replace the entire computer so that you could just reprogrammed it after each change.

I was it was recommended to me by alot of people to go to chiptorque as they had a moddified chip that once purchased can be reprogrammed to run varying setups and tuned at real time on a dyno.

The brock shop is another place the i spoke to and the impression i got was they just burnt a new chip that they thought was suitable and that was that. That the couldn't change it see ho it went then change it again until it was optimal.

don't quote me on the price but it was quite expensive each time you changed something to get a new chip burnt.

Please let me now what the truth is so i don't tell others the wrong thing.

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
mate no chip is reprogrammable. Once a chip is burnt it has only that setup on it. The only thing that might come close to what you are saying is if you got a C.O.M.E. twin table chip board which is where you have 2 chips in your car and you can switch from one to the other. OR if you are talking about a aftermarket ECU like a motec where you can save some air and fuel settings...

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
Are you familiar with what chiptorque do. they apparently modify the standrard chip (eg. add a ram chip or something like that) so they can re-write it. Might be **** but thats what i was lead to believe.

If thats all crap let me know and i won't go back.

myute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs ute 304 t5
whats the phone number for chip torque?

mattakaspeeedy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR V8 BT1
no mate more like what they do is write you a new chip and then save all the info on the thier comp. then the next time you go for a chip to the same place you tell them that and it might mean less time on the dyno and may be cheaper but you will still get a new chip.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
All the chips the data is stored on in Holden cars are either "Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory" or "Electronically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory" both can absolutely be re-programmed, you can also put different chips in them to reprogram them without UV. Anyway the majority of people running dyno shops are too busy counting money to actually know what they are doing or being vague on purpose so you give them more money.

Don't pay much attention to what most of them say or do infact most people in general are silly so maybe you shouldn't believe anyone ever, but in this case you can believe what Dr Bob said allready up there ^

mattakaspeeedy, I disagree with the tune being the final mod on a car because there are very good gains to be had one the stock 5 liter.

It should be

The first mod
The third mod
The 5th mod
The 7th mod
The 9th mod

You get the idea :)

Last edited: