Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno tune plus power run.

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
From what i had done to my car was exhaust and comp i apparently made about 10 rwkw extra with the exhaust then another 10 rwkw when i had the computer reprogrammed.

It was a noticable change each time but not much difference.

i measured the 0-100 times in a crude fashion (stop watch and seeing how far up the road i was when i got there)

the exhaust made it loose a touch of the bottom but gained a bit up top. Made it quicker to 100.

the computer made the most difference, it gained a bit up top and gained alot down low, the best thing was it just made it way better to drive at light throttle, better throttle response and just made it feel more like what i thought it should.

also made it a fair bit quicker to 100, biggest difference was that they changed it so it changed up later so when you hit second you where going a bit quicker and abit higher in the revs.

am i happy i got it done? yes
was it as big a gain as i wanted? no
did i pay to much to get the computer done? not sure, haven't found an alternative yet (please let me know if you know a better way to go)

CAM05L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais 5.0/vy sv8/r31 rb20
well said. i got the tip last night that a solid cam is the way to and a another good tune, and that should bring hp right up

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
am i happy i got it done? yes
was it as big a gain as i wanted? no
did i pay to much to get the computer done? not sure, haven't found an alternative yet (please let me know if you know a better way to go)

u could have just raised base timing by 4 degrees and that would have given u 10kw......but this isnt the correct way to do it.

the factory tune on the VE table is of very poor quality

I had to do a tune on a VN V8 the other day, it had a baby cam, come manifold, and was already tuned, my job was to retune this vehicle properly...and extract power and fuel economy.

Before started tuning, 118rwkw (yes thats right)

after tuning 160rwkw, and then to find out this was only on 91 unleaded.

As the tune was made safe, there was plenty more init on premo

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
not questioning your dyno figures, but how much truth is there in dyno numbers and gains before and after.

you said above that that car had 160rwkw with manifold and cam, ive got a dyno chart saying i have 160 with exhaust, does that mean they should be comparable or each dyno completley different. And can gains be fudged with the dynos.

the way i see it dyno numbers don't mean alot, what it goes like on the road is where it counts. but yeah its hard to tune while driving

enhancedss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE R8 LS3, VYSS Ute 10.0@146MPH & VYSSTT 525rwkw
thats the main problem around australia....inaccuracy of dyno figures.

The engine in question all up had 9 grand spend on it.....yes the comination wasnt correct, this was a COME camshaft and manifold package...and for 9k he did get a rebuild with forgies etc...

Lets not get onto the subject of dynos, cause as far as im concerned, and ive done countless secret dyno tests with vehicles to know where dynos stand. This is the lowest dyno in sa. With dyno resuts varying 60kw. The vn in mention no doubt would pull just over 200rwkw on some dynos here in sa.

mind u it did light the tyres very easy after it was tuned correctly.

Yes figures can be fudged, but the way i look at it, is your only cheating yourself as a tuner, and results speak for themselves.

heres a link of a dynopak dyno

http://www.dynopack.co.nz/

97 SEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS HSV SENATOR
some more question for you what can you guys do for me from SA i'm in QLD i'm assuming not much 'cause you have to guess at numbers etc.

And can you recommend anyone in brisbane for tunning. You know who i've used, if they're expensive but the one of the best i can live with that but if some one can do just as good or better for cheaper even better.

PM me if you want

Jazack

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN SS
I would also like some infor on where/how /who to go to in brissy for the best chip replacement/retune on a VN SS 5.0 litre v8. (with exhaust & CAI)

i will say this much... from who i have spoken to in person and what i have seen on this forum (so far) there is a huge discrepency with regards to peoples' opinions on what to do and where to go.

*sigh* ... ... just once i would like to run a search on a topic and get the same answer from everyone .. lol.

if any of the experts (actual tuner's or people with experience can supply me with local info - PLEASE PM ME or reply to this thread!

Cheers,

Jazack.

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
I would also like some infor on where/how /who to go to in brissy for the best chip replacement/retune on a VN SS 5.0 litre v8. (with exhaust & CAI)

i will say this much... from who i have spoken to in person and what i have seen on this forum (so far) there is a huge discrepency with regards to peoples' opinions on what to do and where to go.

*sigh* ... ... just once i would like to run a search on a topic and get the same answer from everyone .. lol.

if any of the experts (actual tuner's or people with experience can supply me with local info - PLEASE PM ME or reply to this thread!

Cheers,

Jazack.

I am going to Performance World Auto Centre for a tune on Monday. Im a bit hesitant as I haven't heard anything good (or bad) about them, but I have purchased parts from them and found their customer service to be excellent.

I will let you know how it goes Monday night.

Jazack

Reaction score
Members Ride
'91 VN SS
hey hillerus - did you get your tune done on monday?

how much were you getting charged??
was it any good?

** also **

Enhanced SS - Doctor BOB - Greenfoam, etc. i have heard of an idea where i am able to get a sv5000 tune and knock sensor for around the three hundred dollar mark.
what is your opnion on this?
will it leave me with a similar result?
is it safer/detrimental to do it this way?

looking for opinions to these questions from those in the know - i am not looking for opinions on the opinions of those in the know.

not meaning to be rude - just trying to get the right info from the RIGHT places.

Cheers,

Jazack.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
$300 mark...

$40 - eprom burner
$50 - knock sensor
$4 - eprom
$0.50 - socket

you can download the binary easssy.

or ask foam he knows a place u can get a genuine v8 memcal with a knock board

diffrence between the v8 hsv ones and v8 n/a ones is the knock board + sensor they run, im not %100 sure but you might be able to use a v6 knock board on a v8 memcal, or just disable the knock sensor error code and disable the knock sensor on the tune,

but still $300 for 15-20kw @ engine is worth it, but they'res a place u can get the hsv memcal for $40 (genuine) ask greenfoam he was telling me about it