Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno tune

Vtllcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT s2 berlina
Hello all, does any one have a idea where I can get my vt V6 on the dyno in North Adelaide? Apprently it's running lean and I can't work out why I do have a sump gasket leaking and I think the car at idle is pushing to much through the Pcv valve other then that the car has been replaced with most the fuel system and can't hear no vaccum leaks and the car idle doesn't move it sits fine but my spark plugs are saying the car is running slightly lean.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Car is running stock tune, yeah? If you're thinking it's a tune issue and you're running the stock tune, then it's not the tune.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Hello all, does any one have a idea where I can get my vt V6 on the dyno in North Adelaide? Apprently it's running lean and I can't work out why I do have a sump gasket leaking and I think the car at idle is pushing to much through the Pcv valve other then that the car has been replaced with most the fuel system and can't hear no vaccum leaks and the car idle doesn't move it sits fine but my spark plugs are saying the car is running slightly lean.
lf you are conserned as you do seem the computer would possibly give notice by means of engine light for example.You could put a can of treatment in the tank that also cleanse the o2 sensors like lique molly and see if a change happens, it can be that simple. It wont hurt to put on a dyno as adjustments can be made within the factory tune, l herd you may acheive possibly +10% efficiently. A oil leak is not looked at kindly so be prepared for a knock back until rectified.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
show pic of plugs will help

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
You could put a can of treatment in the tank that also cleanse the o2 sensors like lique molly and see if a change happens, it can be that simple. It wont hurt to put on a dyno as adjustments can be made within the factory tune, l herd you may acheive possibly +10% efficiently.

Tuning to fix a problem is a bandaid fix, you're just tuning away the symptom and masking the problem. Tuning to fix a lean out condition would probably be worse.

Using an additive to clean the o2 sensors seems kind of pointless given that you can just unscrew them out of the exhaust and clean them. Are there actually even products that claim to do this for o2 sensors?

Vtllcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT s2 berlina
The car has Cold air intake, 69 mm tb with 12mm spacer at top of the inlet manifold with 1.98.1 roller rockers with advanced extractors into 2 half inch exhaust, it has the chip from mace engineering to suit the bigger tb, I only replaced the plugs less then a month ago and where I take it they have set the gap to 1.2mm it feels the same as 1.5mm if not better.. the problem with the car is he says the spark plugs look lean, I have no codes, the MAF and o2s are good and no codes, I can't hear any vacuum leaks at all drives good on the highway and hits the rev limiter without pinging, the options he said to do is to put bigger injectors in with a custom tune to suit the more air going into the engine but shouldn't the stock injectors with the tune I have be ok for that? The engine has had carby clean through it and injectors are brand new with a new fuel pump good reg and fuel filter the only other thing I can think of why it's running lean is air being sucked though the sump gasket leak and making the Pcv open makin the car run lean.. when it is cold at idle I can feel it sorta jolting through the steering wheel but as soon as you go it's fine.. sorry for the long reply i am over this car and Just ready to move it on forget about cars and drive a Toyota Camry from a to b

Vtllcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT s2 berlina
I just need some one who knows what the car is doing I know I could take it to Graham west work shop in the west but im more north around Elizabeth just hoping some one knows of a dyno who has a idea with the ecotecs I most likely will get this sump done before I dyno it and see how it is but it's a 800 doller job along with the rear main seal being done with it but if I took it to a dyno they could be able to tell how lean it is and what is causing it it drives like a dream on the highway only has about 130rwk but responds well when the pedel is pressed at idle just seems to be struggling the inlet manifold gaskets are all new all seals you can think of have been looked over I've had problems with the EGR pipe leaking before with vacuum leaks.. a new fuel pump 3rd one In 2 years first 2 being dodgy with check valve problems so I have gone over this car to make sure it's running right.. only has 143ks on it aswell no banged out 350k Ecotec clunker as they most become to be . Thanks for listening..

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
Tuning to fix a problem is a bandaid fix, you're just tuning away the symptom and masking the problem. Tuning to fix a lean out condition would probably be worse.

Using an additive to clean the o2 sensors seems kind of pointless given that you can just unscrew them out of the exhaust and clean them. Are there actually even products that claim to do this for o2 sensors?
dyno is a avenue to highlight any issue. Y would they make unessesary adjustments. The readings could pinpoint a issue/s. The additive may assist overtime in clearing lines, fuel rails, injectors etc and the liquie Molly to my understanding assist with cat build up and logicaly o2. Ive seen and experienced the benifits of its application.

gohrdrgomad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VxCaly57
The car has Cold air intake, 69 mm tb with 12mm spacer at top of the inlet manifold with 1.98.1 roller rockers with advanced extractors into 2 half inch exhaust, it has the chip from mace engineering to suit the bigger tb, I only replaced the plugs less then a month ago and where I take it they have set the gap to 1.2mm it feels the same as 1.5mm if not better.. the problem with the car is he says the spark plugs look lean, I have no codes, the MAF and o2s are good and no codes, I can't hear any vacuum leaks at all drives good on the highway and hits the rev limiter without pinging, the options he said to do is to put bigger injectors in with a custom tune to suit the more air going into the engine but shouldn't the stock injectors with the tune I have be ok for that? The engine has had carby clean through it and injectors are brand new with a new fuel pump good reg and fuel filter the only other thing I can think of why it's running lean is air being sucked though the sump gasket leak and making the Pcv open makin the car run lean.. when it is cold at idle I can feel it sorta jolting through the steering wheel but as soon as you go it's fine.. sorry for the long reply i am over this car and Just ready to move it on forget about cars and drive a Toyota Camry from a to b
look, im not a mechanic but a diy enthusiast. From what l understand from this info is you are pushing the boundaries past a factory fuel table/tune. You've gone to the point l would recomend going to a dyno'er and he will tell you what else is needed for him to be able to help you.. Your at a hurdle that no bolt ons will fix in my opinion, apart from your leaks. Keep your chin up!!

Vtllcommodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT s2 berlina
As I said the whole fuel system has been replaced including rail and fuel reg, matched injectors, new pump, compression is 150 around and spark is fine I put my foot flat and no Missing through speed range if I can hit top rpm with no pinging then obviously I'm not running truely lean and it is down to a tune where more fuel is needed, I really don't understand though I'm not putting boost I the engine I've only made it so volumetric efficiency is better and a bigger exhaust system to flow better the only thing I can think why it's lean is the bigger roller rockers letting more air in and not tuned like you would if you put a cam in... I've had it on the dyno before though and have seen the 02 readings fine and WOT it is about 12.5 a/f ratio.. it really is to hard to explain over the net just please if anyone knows a good dyno tune up north end of Adelaide that's what I need to Know !!!! A name of a place or otherwise the **** car is going to other side of Adelaide to be looked at ******* over this **** car even in person no **** has a ******* idea not even me I am really close to selling and buying a stock toyota, Toyota smashes Holden's any day of the ******* week.