Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno Tune

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
Hi everyone,

is it worth getting a otr cai and a tune?

Came into a bit of extra money so felt like treating the ss a little bit,

also where is a tuner located close to the mid north coast? Google is letting me down.

Thanks everyone

glennho

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS -1977 HX Premier,2012 Hilux 4x4
Do you already have headers and or exhaust?

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
Do you have any headers and/or exhausts you recommend?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
is it worth getting a otr cai and a tune

Absolutely, without a question of doubt
You not only get an increase in horsepower and torque, but you will also get better fuel economy after the tune
The fuel economy will eventually come to you when you start to lay off the accelerator after the tune has been done

While I only have a VZ with an LS1 and not a VE with a 6 litre, the best thing I did was get my car tuned
My tune results were as follows:
Prior to getting the tune done, I fitted 1 3/4 inch extractors and a twin 2 1/2 inch exhaust system, and a VCM OTR
was fitted for the tune
I went from 270 Horsepower in standard untuned form with the extractors and exhaust to 318 Horsepower after the tune, a healthy increase of 48 horsepower.....And you definitely know those extra 48 horses are there when you get on the loud pedal
If you like to talk kilowatts, it went from 202 KW stock and untuned to 238 KW after the tune, an increase of 36 kilowatts, and this was at the build up to the wet season when it's stinking bloody hot....It was 38 degrees that day with the humidity hovering in the high 90's

Don't get caught up with dyno KW numbers though because a dyno is just a tuning tool and the Kw number is just that.....a number
The way the car responds to any level of throttle input now compared to how it was prior to being tuned is night and day in difference, and I have found myself pondering on several occasions why I didn't have it tuned earlier

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
a healthy increase of 48 horsepower..... an increase of 36 kilowatts
yep no matter what the start and end figures are those gains figures are the only ones u want and u will notice most are always around that same gains anyway regardless of end result for same mods

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
sweet as. Do you guys know of any tuners around the mid-north coast area?

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
sweet as. Do you guys know of any tuners around the mid-north coast area?

Dale at Castle Hill Performance down Sydney way has been tuning LS engines since they arrived on the scene
He used to own an 11 second manual VY ute back in the day that used to get used as a test mule for the performance shop, and the last I heard about the shops race car was that it was doing low 6 second 1/4 mile passes
The guy knows his sh#t though, so much so that he flew over to america in 2015 to convert and tune Dominator's Dodge Dart from the TV show Street Outlaws to a full custom Haltech EFI setup
He does tunes with one of the performance shops up here in Darwin too
Now while there are other experienced and well respected tuners in the greater Sydney area , Dale is highly regarded as one of the best tuners in the country

farmer1995

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim VE sv6 S2
Dale at Castle Hill Performance down Sydney way has been tuning LS engines since they arrived on the scene
He used to own an 11 second manual VY ute back in the day that used to get used as a test mule for the performance shop, and the last I heard about the shops race car was that it was doing low 6 second 1/4 mile passes
The guy knows his sh#t though, so much so that he flew over to america in 2015 to convert and tune Dominator's Dodge Dart from the TV show Street Outlaws to a full custom Haltech EFI setup
He does tunes with one of the performance shops up here in Darwin too
Now while there are other experienced and well respected tuners in the greater Sydney area , Dale is highly regarded as one of the best tuners in the country
He sounds great, im guessing someone like that would come with a hefty price though.

Was hoping for something closer than sydney too