Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dyno tunes LS3

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
Tuned at Sam's Performance.
6spd man Vf2 LS3
Mods are OTR and HSV 2 1/2 Mid
Final dyno result was 298.4 kw atw.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I don't disagree with what you say, but can 2 dynos vary by 45%?
Yes, they can, definitely.
Would they? I can't see it. But it's definitely a possibility.
I exaggerated for effect as that wouldn't actually happen, in the same way as no seller of an OTR+tune would tell you it'd let you pull 8's all day; but both of those things are possible.

I guess my problem with dyno results is that a kiloWatt is supposed to be a defined unit of power, that's the whole point of HAVING a unit of power. So producing numbers which aren't real annoys me. They should call it a pU, a powerUnit. Which means nothing, which would in fact be perfect.

It's like someone asking you what the max temp is going to be today.
"25 degrees celsius!"
"Oh that's going to be nice and warm for Melbourne in mid July, eh?"
"Oh no, it's going to be effing freezing, I doubt the overnight frost is even going to melt"
"Huh?"
"Oh, I've used a random unit of temperature and attached the Celsius label to it, I don't know what it means in the approved use of the Celsius unit-of-measure but water seems to be freezing outside"

Last edited:

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
I guess the issue is there are a lot of user controlled variables which can affect how the power is transferred from car to the dyno (biggest is the vertical force from tieing the car down influencing the traction transfer?)

The reason why wheel hub dynos are more consistent?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
The way I understand it, and this may only be with one brand, the dyno need to be calibrated - as installed it doesn't actually know what "300kW" is, you need to tell it.

Like installing an aftermarket speedo that needs to be tuned with the sensor in your gearbox or diff or wheel ... the speedo doesn't know how many "pulses per second" is 100km/h, you need to calibrate the speedo so that it reads 100km/h when they car's doing 100km/h. '
And you can, if you want, calibrate it to read 200km/h when you're doing 100km/h. :)
Except that the situation with dynos is more like ... you're trying to calibrate your speedo without a GPS, just by driving along a 100km/h posted highway & judging by the speed everyone else is doing.
And it doesn't even matter so much with the dyno, because Plod isn't there to fine you as soon as you exceed some randomly-chosen power figure. :) For tuning purposes, all you need to know is that the changes you're making are resulting in more power, less power, and what percentage more or less.

I expect the above is massively over-simplified, that's just the concept.

Last edited:

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Did he use the hub dyno? They read a little higher than a roller dyno. Either way, that workshop definitely has a good reputation, and if you're happy with the end result, thats the main thing. I have an LS3 from a 2016 Redline in my VK with a TH400, 4k converter and 3.9 diff gears, with intake and full exhaust, it made 240rwkw when it was tuned. Numbers sound low, but it is deceptively quick, and scares the fk out of my mates when I take them for a drive in it. Dont get bogged down in the numbers, run it at the strip when it opens, that'll give you a better understanding of what it's making

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Tuned at Sam's Performance.
6spd man Vf2 LS3
Mods are OTR and HSV 2 1/2 Mid
Final dyno result was 298.4 kw atw.

I know Sam's well, he's built engines for me, cammed and modded and tuned a few of my cars.

He's no nonsense type of guy who has a tendency to be on the conservative side with his tunes to protect your investment.

He always gives you a dyno sheet and explains the curve so post up a copy, I know he's happy to have his work scrutinised.

I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if he'd done any work without doing a baseline run, I'm sure if you asked him he'd give you a copy of that that laid over the final run as well.

I've always received all that info from him.

Apart from an engine dyno he also has a hub and rolling dyno, which of those last two did he use?

Last edited:

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
dont want to put you down, but if you believe you gained 60rwkw from an otr and a tune.. that must be one hell of a tuner.
I understand variables (not the first car I have gotten dyno'd) gained
I know Sam's well, he's built engines for me, cammed and modded and tuned a few of my cars.

He's no nonsense type of guy who has a tendency to be on the conservative side with his tunes to protect your investment.

He always gives you a dyno sheet and explains the curve so post up a copy, I know he's happy to have his work scrutinised.

I'd be absolutely flabbergasted if he'd done any work without doing a baseline run, I'm sure if you asked him he'd give you a copy of that that laid over the final run as well.

I've always received all that info from him.

Apart from an engine dyno he also has a hub and rolling dyno, which of those last two did he use?

He probably did do a baseline run but I was outside on a phone call, I may call to ask them for baseline result.

It was on rolling dyno not hub

White Swan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS
I understand variables (not the first car I have gotten dyno'd) gained

Then you must understand throwing out such a big number from what are really nothing mods without the baseline reading is going to pose questions and some with doubts.
It's not difficult to have the tuner to give you the baseline run to satisfy your own curiosity as well as those you've teased by creating this thread.

Emco

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 Ssv Redline
Then you must understand throwing out such a big number from what are really nothing mods without the baseline reading is going to pose questions and some with doubts.
It's not difficult to have the tuner to give you the baseline run to satisfy your own curiosity as well as those you've teased by creating this thread.
Teased? M8
The reason why I opened a thread because I'm curious if anybody has gotten around the same figures as what I got with similar or same mods.
Do you get that the car was stock, I threw on a vcm otr and a hsv mid section.
Read the thread properly champ instead of acting like your a tuner guru or something

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
to answer your direct question no. my numbers are not that high with a full exhaust, otr, and tune.
id also imagine most peoples arent with the same mods.

your numbers are basically attributed to otr and tune, the change in mid pipe is going to be almost irrelevant an otherwise stock car.