Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dysfunctional Hot Rod Shop

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
No doubt, some of you who have Foxtel watch American Hot Rod.

I have been watching it for some months and cannot help but wonder how Boyd Coddington manages to stay in business.

He would have to run the most dysfunctional business I have ever seen. His shop manager, "Negative Ned" Dwayne Mayer, spends most of the time boring it up some poor junior employee, moaning about problems, saying things can't be done, criticising the workmanship of some blokes, the list goes on. He has no personnel or people handling skills, yet Coddington is happy to leave floor issues in his hands. He has a foul temper to boot.

In today's episode, one of the employees was told to sweep the floor because he couldn't be given any meaningful work commensurate with his low skill level, on the current project. By episodes's end, he had been "let go". The pathetic way in which he was dismissed was disgraceful, and would probably have Coddington in hot water if it was Australia and not the States where he had his business.

Coddington himself has a love of the most god-awful brightly coloured Hawaiian shirts and wears no other style during the show. They are obviously his trademark but he would be the only person game enough to wear them on a tv show.

Despite all this, the cars are absolutely brilliant and the workmanship of his skilled staff is unbelievable.

Does anybody else watch this show and what are your impressions about the business and the cars?

badaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Supercharged VX S
I've seen it a few times, the cars they build look great but Dwayne is a complete tool, so that puts me off the show a bit. It will be interesting to see if the show continues because as Troy77 said Boyd passed away sometime last year.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Coddington is dead man...

Hi Troy

News to me, hadn't heard it. He looks well enough in the shows made in 2005 - know what caused his demise?

Did someone finally take exception to his shirts?

FusionX

Reaction score
He died February last year. From memory, liver and kidney complications with something to do with his diabeties (spelling?)....

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Im afraid they just show you a small part of what really goes on.Yes Dwayne is a tool but he gets the job done.
He died on Feb 27 2008,he was a diabetic and died from kidney and liver issues.

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
He died February last year. From memory, liver and kidney complications with something to do with his diabeties (spelling?)....

Damn i should have hit the reply button earlier.:bang:

jet-6

Yer im that guy!
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY06 VZ SX6 ADVENTRA
What you think there cars are good, yer they look shiny and stuff but there that full of bad welding and bog who would want one for the price there asking, i know guys that can build a car as good as them with no bog

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
I prefer Foose's cars..