Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E-85 cold start problem

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Hello people,

I've only noticed this in winter, however just ran my second tank of E-85 in quite some time, and my car is now almost stalling out when it goes to start first thing in the morning.

Is that normal for E-85, or is it an issue I should be talking to Holden about?

Car is stock except for side mount CAI, and 2.5" catback - no tune change.

Cheers!

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
sounds about right , E85 causes plenty of issues such as carby and injector problems , I suggest is run it on a good full tank of premium with fuel injector cleaner.

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
sounds about right , E85 causes plenty of issues such as carby and injector problems , I suggest is run it on a good full tank of premium with fuel injector cleaner.

Thanks for the response.

Is E-85 not supposed to burn hotter and run cleaner than premium? Since the car is E-85 compatible I would have thought it would not negatively effect any of the internals?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Far as im aware all fuel has a bit of ethanol fuel in it , if its under a certain precent they don't need to display it.

Most problems with ethanol fuel it leaves a film of scum , like a thin bit of plastic, that's why they say don't store away mowers etc. with fuel , it stuffs the carby up and its almost impossible to clean it.

J

Jingle Bells

I have said it before and I now say it again....do not run your car on E85 unless you are on your last dollar and have to go to Centrelink....select a high octane petrol brand and you will have no problems....anyway who wants to put sugar in your tank like the old days....same result....... !@#$%^&*......put a tiger in your tank!

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

I have said it before and I now say it again....do not run your car on E85 unless you are on your last dollar and have to go to Centrelink....select a high octane petrol brand and you will have no problems....anyway who wants to put sugar in your tank like the old days....same result....... !@#$%^&*......put a tiger in your tank!

Geez guys I like you both and appreciate your comments most of the time but if you don't know a thing about something you shouldn't comment!

OP that is normal, the stock tune for e85 needs tweaking in some areas really, this part is called cold cranking injector pulse width, needs to be raised (richer). I originally thought it was too rich but turns out needs more fuel else won't start first crank.

See first cold crank delay in cold weather:
[video=youtube_share;1blRAkgAFWg]http://youtu.be/1blRAkgAFWg[/video]

Ideally these known issues with stock e85 tune values are sorted with a revised tune flash, but unlikely GM will give us one before it bows out. Most pro tuners will do this as part of any tune.
Without spending hundreds some simple solutions are to either use eFlex (same result in our car but blended for better cold starts vs United's always 85%), or top with $5-10 regular 91. Because e85 is 107-112 octane it won't matter so much what the octane of the top up is.

Last edited:

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
Geez man if you don't know a thing about something you shouldn't comment!

OP that is normal, the stock tune for e85 needs tweaking really, this part is called cold cranking injector pulse width, needs to be raised (richer). I originally thought it was too rich but turns out needs more fuel else won't start first crank. Simple solutions are to either use eFlex (same result in our car), or top with $5-10 regular 91. Because e85 is 107-112 octane it won't matter so much what the octane of the top up is.

Thanks Pirate I thought that may be the case, and I'm pretty sure you have already told me that the standard e85 tune is not ideal. I will try topping up with some normal fuel to help it. Either way, getting her tuned in the next month so will definately take note of what you've said regarding the richness of cold crank injector pulse!

Cheers.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
Yes the carby on a VF commodore......

As Pirate said if you plan on running on E85 consistently I'd suggest getting it tuned to specifically for it, as you've already got a intake and exhaust you should also see some power gains from the tune as well.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Ethanol fuel burns cooler, cleaner and longer compared to normal petrol - if your car isn't driven very regularly it can leave deposits in your injectors (happens to me a lot), which will require a proper clean from a shop, but that's not what your problem is. If you don't know what you're talking about stop posting crap about it.

Pir4te is right - just had the cold crank fuel richened up on my car to cope with the cold snap and everything is working fine.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Thanks for the response.

Is E-85 not supposed to burn hotter and run cleaner than premium? Since the car is E-85 compatible I would have thought it would not negatively effect any of the internals?

Colder and cleaner, all positive on the internals, have posted many pics and vids showing the effect, now approaching 165,000 hard-earned fast km and goes like a rocket - 4.8 sec 0-100kph and kickdown to 160 in 4.3 at highway speed.