Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E-85 cold start problem

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
Because you know about performance vehicles and all.............

yep they all get you to a to b then back again , no matter performance why have all that power and unable to use it , unless you break the speed limit, or be the first to get to the next red light.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
yep they all get you to a to b then back again , no matter performance why have all that power and unable to use it , unless you break the speed limit, or be the first to get to the next red light.

or you know...
you can go to an official track day....

J

Jingle Bells

Just for trivia regarding the VF SV6 - straight from the holden page:

Recommended fuel E85, ULP or PULP

Looks like you don't need to do anything to run it.

Spot on.....what is with all this kurfudle over retunes for VF models is mind bogging....I also note the power and torque figures quoted are using 98 RON (PULP) for all variants of engines both 6's and 8's.....so I am totally confused as to why they would want to retune for E85 and another retune for 98 Ron....the only thing I can envisage their engines are clapped out/vintage...or they want to go from 0 to 100kmh in 2 seconds.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
You're tripping on fresh air Jingle Bells!

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
my understanding is that the OEM tune would be of a compromised set up or not to optimum levels.
by having it retuned gains can be made and if done properly it can be made to run at an optimum level for the fuel.

and especially by the sounds of it from others, the e85 tune is not exactly the bees knees from the factory.
so why not have it retuned for it to run properly?
consider it like basic maintenance, you don't let your air filter stay clogged, you change it to one that will flow to its proper levels.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Spot on.....what is with all this kurfudle over retunes for VF models is mind bogging....I also note the power and torque figures quoted are using 98 RON (PULP) for all variants of engines both 6's and 8's.....so I am totally confused as to why they would want to retune for E85 and another retune for 98 Ron....the only thing I can envisage their engines are clapped out/vintage...or they want to go from 0 to 100kmh in 2 seconds.

Worst thing you can assume is that I'm on your side - you have absolutely no idea what you're on about. Even playing with a stock standard VE SS tune with my laptop and wideband I managed to make it a lot more responsive and use less fuel and still run in the parameters of safety. E85 will gain you more power, on average a more agressive tune over factory will net you about 20kw - I know this for a fact.
I haven't played with an SV6 tune wise yet but I've got one to try on next week, but I'm expecting to find some sort of gains even if it's just down low.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
What tuning software are you using Julian?

hotrod

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore s2
buy the real fuel , problem solved or run around like a headless chook to make it run at its peck , wasting money on tuning it to ethanol 85 and for what 5c cheaper at the pump than 91-95% octane fuel . and like you said not all petrol stations stock E-85 so why bother , add a octane booster in the tank .