Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E Series Clubsport or Monaro

wikky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Having driven both many times (stock to highly modified), my vote is for the Clubby. There's nothing special about the Monaro (to drive). The E series Clubby performs and handles much better. Get your old man to take both for a drive. That's the only way to decide between 2 cars.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
lol, massive difference in safty....

R8 would be like pissing your money up against the wall, and they're nothing special.

Monaro, is cool to look at. Might not make the same power as an R8 but is about 200kg lighter so will go just as fast and I doubt you'll notice any difference in handly or comfort.
Infact, I think the VY VZ's are more comfortable then the VE's.

Have to disagree on the comfort comment. I find the VEs MUCH more comfortable than the Y/Z series cars. The munro is essentially just a 2 door commy, so mechanically it's nothing special. It's more the stigma attached to the name that is where the investment properties will come in. I don't think they'll ever appreciate as much as the old gen monaros but they WILL appreciate over the next couple of decades based on the badge alone.

Also, in spite of the weight saving, the 5.7 was notoriously average at low revs when stock, so for day to day driving the clubby will have plenty more kick, even though the actual numbers may not be that different.

Horses for courses as far as comfort goes, what fits me won't necessarily fit others but the E is definitely a better fit for me. As for handling though, the balance and accuracy of the steering alone in the Es is enough of an improvement to make it the better choice for a driver's car.

There's no wrong or right choice - as has been said, drive both and make an informed decision. But there's no way I'd be going past the clubby out of those two choices.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Well the original Monaro was just a two door kingswood...

I hate VE seats. They're crap.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
I'd have to say the clubby!! Don't own one, but the few ive been in feel really planted. Plus I'm biased, I think the VE is the sexiest commodore going around.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL, VE's are fat and bulbous. Hate to see ya mrs if you reckon thats sexy!

(Disclaimer; The above is a joke and in no way is it meant to insinuate your mrs is a heffer.)

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
My vote would go to the monaro.

My reasons:

1. It's a future classic
2. It is a stunning car to look at, even the pre Z ones.
3. The VZ's are actually a bit better than a VE in a head on collisions. The reason the VE has the 5 stars is due to being a bit better with side on impacts and they have ESP.
4. I'm 6 foot 4 and I hit in my mates VZ monaro very comfortably
5. If your old man has been dreaming of a Monaro for years, he will be happier in a monaro.

The last point it really the big one I think. When you are buying your dream car, you don't care what's better on paper but rather what makes you feel like a 5yo again.

I'm planning on getting a new car this year, my options are say a VE SSV or a VZ R8. On paper, the VE is a better car as such being safer, a more advanced chassis and it's newer. But I want the older VZ just because that's the one that makes me feel like a 5yo again.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

Last edited:

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Couldn't agree more.

VY/VZ Is more a drivers car IMO.

Same as a Torana is more a drivers car then VZ.

John Williams

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Thanks all for your responses and comments - a lot more than I expected and it looks like there's a great community here at Just Commodores.

Reading through these I see all of you put great detail into your responses.

(Sorry to bang on a bit :p) I myself have been interested in cars all my life. I'm actually a bit of a Beemer and Merc fan so I see why I was leaning more towards the Clubsport because it really is an Aussie M5 for under a third of the Beemer's price. Also, the whole 'daily driving issue' - this would be the regular runabout car for my dad, not a 'weekend car', so that also caused me to lean towards the Clubsport. I really love Holdens too. I just remember when we had a hire car on a Queensland holiday a year or two ago, a VE SV6, and I was just astounded at what a great car it was for its price-tag. Same basically goes for all of the locally-made Holdens. I think to myself when I see an S-Class Benz or a 7 Series BMW go past - why would you buy that when you can get a 3 Caprice Vs for the same price?

I think Jesterarts hit the nail on the head though with his 5th point. My dad had a couple of Torana V8s back when he was closer to my age and he's always admired the Monaro, even before the modern version debuted back in '01. I'm sure that I can make him try out a Clubsport R8 when he's shopping about for Monaros and if he loves that, fantastic. I'll give you a bit more background info: my dad was saying only a few years back during one of my rants on about how good German cars are that a "car is to get you from A to B", so you can see it takes something quite special to make him excited. I doubt he'd even know what a Clubsport is :p!!

With the Monaro (3rd gen), what are the best models to look out for and what should we be cautious of when looking at them? It's difficult to find one in SA as most Monaros for sale at dealerships are based interstate, and I know you can transport it over, but for such a big purchase, my dad'd like to see what you're laying down $30,000-$45,000 on. The remainder are really just private sellers, and my dad doesn't want to go through them :S Is it worth holding out for another 12 months to see if some late model VZs get reduced in price, or does it not really matter when he gets it (within the next 18 months).

Once again, thanks for the overwhelming response! I'll be sure to put pics up when my dad (finally) gets something!!