Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E Series Clubsport or Monaro

John Williams

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi all,
This is my first post, and it's on behalf of my dad. Firstly, after over a decade or so of having Ford Lasers and dreaming about getting a Monaro, the day of a new car is coming very soon. I'm his 'helper', which basically means I'm all over Carsales AU looking for something that he could get. He's always loved Holdens and had a couple of 8-cylinder models pre 1990s, and really likes the 3rd gen Monaro. He has no idea about the different variants and model updates, but ideally we'd be looking at a VZ or V2 Series III (or late V2 Series II) CV8.

However, I've been attracted to the HSV Clubsport E Series R8 more recently, for a few reasons. Firstly, my sister is within a few years going to be over 6 ft, and I'm about 6 ft already, and my dad is 6ft 3. Whilst I understand the Monaro isn't a matchbox, having a sedan with 4 doors and greater rear head and leg room would probably be a benefit. Secondly, even though it is a classic, the third generation Monaro is old. It's based on a last gen Commodore platform which is already out of date by 5 years. The R8 has lots of new features and tech. Thirdly, safety is a priority. While the Monaro still has 4 airbags and a 4-star ANCAP rating, the VE Commodores have 5 star safety ratings and many have at least 6 airbags. And finally, while the current Clubsport on offer has had several tweaks, it basically is the same car as the original E Series R8.

Now, the major question, something I need help with purely because I can't answer (having never driven a Monaro or anything made by HSV). What is the driving experience like when you're in a VZ Monaro CV8 compared to a E Series Clubsport R8, in terms of handling, performance etc.? What would be the better purchase? I've thought about suggesting the SS V but it's very common and to most on the road, it's just a Commodore.

Thanks all for your help,
John

cds

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Ute & WM Statesman
Hi John,

Welcome to the forum, enjoy your stay here!

I've driven the R8 E Series 1 myself only once or twice which belonged to my work mate and I tell you they are a golden drive. The electronics and even transmission has advanced since the Cv8z Monaro days. The car feels incredibly larger and the in cabin tone is much more rich like. I also belive the R8 has other features such as ESP and heaps more sensors that can tell you stuff about the cars running preformance than the Cv8z Monaro.

If you take a Cv8z for a test drive, then take a E Series 1 R8 you will find the great difference and likely go for the R8. Price tag between the two are fairly different though I would think almost 15-20k in difference I think? Depends what your after, been wanting to finally get a piece of decent technology and drive chain I'd go for the R8 if the pocket is that deep, some R8 E1's going for under $42,0000. Just watch for the 2006 models and early 2007 models as there was a few recall issues. Check car history and service history etc.

Good Luck & I want to see pictures after purchase.

TinSnips

Polish all the things...
Reaction score
Website
www.drivencolour.com.au
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Two schools of thought spring to mind. Do you want the car as a driver's car or a collector's car? If you're after the driver's car, grab the clubby. If you're after the collector's get the munro. Not that the munro is a bad drive, it isn't. at all. It's better balanced than the commodores of that gen but doesn't stack up to the handling of the E series. At least not without some serious mods, which reduces the collectable nature of it.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
^ as stated above.... 2 different cars for 2 different purposes.

If you plan to drive it daily, want better features, handling, safety (basically the lot).... the R8 is the way to go hands down.

For a collecter/investment, and having a car that could very well appreciate in value over the years (if low k's and in mint condition), the Monaro is the way to go.

If it was me though, there wouldnt be a decision to be made at all.... R8 all the way, every day, and twice on sunday :).
You want a car you can drive, be safe and comfortable in, and have enough room without having to squat in it like a mini. I'm a little taller/larger as well.... and coupe is definitely what you DONT want if you plan on driving it on a regular basis. The shine of the monaro will fade very quickly- although it is a lovely car in its own right.

Test drive both to decide for yourself, but no way I'd go past the R8 (if they were my only two options- I'm a wagon fan :)).

fuzzy2308

Reaction score
Members Ride
Plastic datsun
monaro would hold its value longer and will pull more chicks, but i like the clubby better.

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
Bank loan, get both... Monaro for your old man, r8 for you!

But seriously, go with the newer car if after comfort and safety.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
lol, massive difference in safty....

R8 would be like pissing your money up against the wall, and they're nothing special.

Monaro, is cool to look at. Might not make the same power as an R8 but is about 200kg lighter so will go just as fast and I doubt you'll notice any difference in handly or comfort.
Infact, I think the VY VZ's are more comfortable then the VE's.

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Another vote for monaro.