Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E1 Suspension issues - MRC Removal Dilemma

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hello everyone. I thought I'd update you on the MRC issues.

Had the system tested & electrical side was working as it was supposed to. No leaks from the front shocks found. The tech advised that the suspension felt like normal for its year & he agreed that it drove just like I described. Either too soft or too hard.

I went & test drove a Clubsport with Tein Coilovers. It was set on about the middle of the hard/soft damper setting & height looked like factory setting. I felt it was as hard as hell & was really bouncy. Definitely too hard for my liking & I quickly ruled them out.

I have now removed all the MRC shocks & the old springs. I have fitted new Monro GT Gas shocks with Holden FE2 springs all round.

I can't believe the difference, handles way better in my opinion. Much smoother, shocks actually feel like they are working & the spring rate feels firm but compliant on our bumpy as Christchurch roads.

A great outcome.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
good to hear you got a result you are happy with - the old FE2 cops a bit of stick but in all honesty it's not too bad at all.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage

Had the system tested & electrical side was working as it was supposed to. No leaks from the front shocks found. The tech advised that the suspension felt like normal for its year & he agreed that it drove just like I described. Either too soft or too hard.

I went & test drove a Clubsport with Tein Coilovers. It was set on about the middle of the hard/soft damper setting & height looked like factory setting. I felt it was as hard as hell & was really bouncy. Definitely too hard for my liking & I quickly ruled them out.

I have now removed all the MRC shocks & the old springs. I have fitted new Monro GT Gas shocks with Holden FE2 springs all round.

I can't believe the difference, handles way better in my opinion. Much smoother, shocks actually feel like they are working & the spring rate feels firm but compliant on our bumpy as Christchurch roads.

A great outcome.

:eek:. Seriously????

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8

FYI with the tein's a higher setting on the damper would take the "bouncey" out but if the spring rate was too firm for you then I'm glad you didn't buy them.

I hope you got the equivalent to what non-MRC HSV have spring wise (are they like FE3.5s?) and haven't raised the car above factory heights. Anyway I'm glad your happy with the results and hope you keep the MRC stuff and didn't 'give' them to the workshop

:eek:. Seriously????

Personally I think Monroe GT shocks are way too stiff, every car we've have with them fitted rode like rubbish (3 Senators and a ute)

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
My daughter has 2 Clubbies, a VT, and a VZ, and VZ with KYB shocks rides far better than the VT with Monroes.
Both King springs of the same level.

And if you dont want the "wallowing" MRC stuff, throw them my way. I dont have an issue how my GTS rides with MRC on either setting.

gunsmoke

Gunsmoke
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS & VZ Exec

A great outcome.
>>>>.I refer to your statement about FE 2 springs. My post refers to basically the same thing. They are pretty good but no one believes it. And I bet you saved a crap load of money on what you first intended to do.
"Blowing my own trumpet you say"---I am so. :wave:

stirringaxe

Reaction score
Members Ride
I know to some this whole suspension option will seem wrong, but I have to say it is like night & day compared to what it was like before. I am very happy with it.

Spring heights are what I was told to use to match the Monro strut & rear shock combination I was fitting. They are a bit lower than what I like visually but the whole package works really well now. I used Holden springs because all the Cobra & Dobi springs I used on my last Calais just didn't cut it for me.

As to the cost - I didn't pay anything for the set of springs. I got a trade discount on the rest & have spent around $1000NZD. That included the Nolathane strut top bearings & mount, along with a complete Nolathane rear subframe bush kit. I was budgeting up to $5k for replacing the front MRC struts & fitting new Walkinshaw springs all round. I can put the rest of the money towards something else now.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Sounds like a win! As I mentioned earlier, car ride is very subjective. I am glad you got to take a ride in a setup before you made your decision as there is nothing worse than throwing down hard earned dollars and walking away with something you're not happy with.

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
I know everyone is different, as are different suspension setups, but how on earth can the dealer or whoever it was say the shocks are fine and theyre supposed to be like that? Wouldve thought that something that advanced and expensive, if working properly, should have performed far better than what you described. . . Or is this MRC just a bit of a gimmick that hasnt been refined enough yet? I imagine there wouldnt be too many experts on the subject as they are fairly rare.

Glad you are pleased with the result though thats the main thing, and it came in well under budget. Gotta be happy with that.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
If you are finding Monroe anything a vast improvement then there was something very wrong with the OEM's and your dealer should have hung it's head in shame for not being able to diagnose the problem.