Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E10, 95 or 98 for pure dollar for distance travelled LS3

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
and E10 in an LS3 o_O
You can argue 98 busts the performance/price ratio but 95 is easily worth it. Mine makes a much bigger rumble off throttle with 95+. Worth the price of admission alone.
I wanted to respond to this in the other thread but I didn't want to derail that thread as it's too interesting at the moment.

I'm actually fascinated to find out, can people actually hear a difference? What about a difference btn E10, 95 and 98? Are you saying, I could take your car, not tell you what I filled it up with and then you could tell me what fuel I put into it based of the sound?

Your comments made me actually look into it, looks like 91 might be the way to go rather than E10. I'm definitely going to give that a go.

Obviously that is 87 to 91, I'm assuming it might be different because states but if not, its the same difference 91 to 95.

Seems like 4% benefit in speed and efficiency but most likely it's about 10% more expensive.

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
91 octane fuel that we get in this part of the world (not the US they have a different octane rating system) has no place in a performance car like an HSV mate, personally I’d run 98 but perhaps 95 would give you best value for dollar if your car is still stock

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
95 would give you best value for dollar if your car is still stock
Those videos from engineering explained seem to clearly show that its definitely better to use 91 if you are talking value for dollar. Even with a 4% increase in fuel efficiency for 98, even 95 prices don't justify using it from value for dollar.

When you want better performance though, you definitely get a benefit.

What was interesting was the fact that you lose 3% fuel efficiency from e10 and yet its on average only 2% cheaper. I learned something, I'm going to use 91 for a while now and see how it goes.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I hate the feel of a car where you've gotten used to running it on PULP, and then you drive it on ULP. It feels broken; it's amazing how quickly you get used to the embiggened throttle-response, and the slightly lower throttle pressure required. Even our (archaic engine-management) Ecomoo VS felt like I was lugging an extra 4 of me around in it when it was running on 91.
I couldn't tell any difference between 95 & 98.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
pure dollar for distance travelled LS3
If you want pure dollar for distance travelled, don't buy a V8. Buy a hybrid.

I see zero point in spending money on a car like that, to then stick cheap fuel in to save cents.

embiggened
Excellent Simpsons reference. A most cromulent word

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
I hate the feel of a car where you've gotten used to running it on PULP, and then you drive it on ULP. It feels broken; it's amazing how quickly you get used to the embiggened throttle-response, and the slightly lower throttle pressure required. Even our (archaic engine-management) Ecomoo VS felt like I was lugging an extra 4 of me around in it when it was running on 91.
I couldn't tell any difference between 95 & 98.
I might drive it for a couple of months on 91, I'll see if I get used to it. Then in a couple more months, I'll try 95 for a few months. I've done nothing but e10 since I've had it for 4 months now.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
If you want pure dollar for distance travelled, don't buy a V8. Buy a hybrid.

I see zero point in spending money on a car like that, to then stick cheap fuel in to save cents.
I've said this many times now, I like driving it hard, very hard. I just drive it efficiently most of the time.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
In a normal car 91 will definitely be the best value. Make sure you fill up when the price is down or you will lose out by a mile. The car feels better with 95 or 98 though.
e10 chews through more fuel so that's always last choice.

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Those videos from engineering explained seem to clearly show that its definitely better to use 91 if you are talking value for dollar. Even with a 4% increase in fuel efficiency for 98, even 95 prices don't justify using it from value for dollar.
bear in mind EE are based in the US, and "91" is premium there, "87" is standard/cheapo stuff.

I've said this many times now, I like driving it hard, very hard. I just drive it efficiently most of the time.
Fuel price is cents in the dollar. If you go that hard, you'll wipe out any savings ;)

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
You aren't wrong, holy **** does she drink when you hammer her. But man, the sound and feeling is worth it.

I went to Wakefield parkway last week and we used 70% of a 98 ron tank in 6 x 10 minute sessions :)

The whole time, I was fighting internally about ways I could convince myself to bring out my car next time. You can bet if I do, she is getting fed 98 ron.