Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
clean what out?
Presumably your resonding to this sattement
I used to do the same with the SV6. Used 91 for the regular drive to work and use 98 on long road trips to clean it out.
If so, i'd assume J-D 2.0 means 98 cleans out carbon and other combustion gas buildups causing a drag on your car... being thhat it's suppose to be a tier 1 fuel (using US terminology)

(was trying to find the much older commercial where a BMW was being chased down the road by some pather shaped crud hing that was ripping up the road behind the bmw ... but nada ...)

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
If so, i'd assume J-D 2.0 means 98 cleans out carbon and other combustion gas buildups causing a drag on your car...

More or less true. But this (cleaning) will not happen overnight. Nor with one tank. Or three. It will pay back when you are using the same fuel over many thousands of kilometres of highway/freeway driving. I speak from long experience, not some glossy marketing brochure. With SIDI engines, the benefits take longer to procure, because of their injection design as opposed to, for example, the Alloytec V6, which would be cleaned out thoroughly in 2 to 3,000km. This fundamental difference in engines does not in any way negate the value of using 95/98 (95 for Alloytecs 2005 onward, 98 for SIDI, 2009 onward) in SIDIs that certainly can benefit, but only if you are focused on improvement over the medium to long term. Nothing will happen in 24 hours of dreaming. It is the cherished preserve of enthusiasts who think 95/98 is a gimmick, because they have no understanding of how the engine will benefit going forward, instead they are disappointed and aggrieved to pay that much extra and not get the dreamed-of 100rwkw increase in power, grunt, snort and wank factor from the first tank, and nothing after that!! Takeaway: 95/98 is a long term commitment.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Presumably your resonding to this sattement
If so, i'd assume J-D 2.0 means 98 cleans out carbon and other combustion gas buildups causing a drag on your car... being thhat it's suppose to be a tier 1 fuel (using US terminology)

(was trying to find the much older commercial where a BMW was being chased down the road by some pather shaped crud hing that was ripping up the road behind the bmw ... but nada ...)

Lol. I’m not sure how much I really believe their “dirt busting“ claims tbh but my weekend drives usually involve doing an “Italian tune up” through Mount Glorious so if I’m punting it up mountain passes I’m putting the highest octane fuel in it that I can! The trip to and from work is only highway cruising so 91 was fine for that.

The SV6 doesn’t get those runs up Mount Glorious now that I’ve got the SSV! The SSV runs on LPG most of the time except for the 30 minutes a week the user manual tells you to run it to make sure the petrol system is kept in serviceable condition and when I get into some spirited driving then I flick the switch to 98.

LPG is a good price saver for normal driving but the power is lacking (low down torque especially) for spirited driving or overtaking.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

You mean this one ?

And of course, the local version.....

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
More or less true. But this (cleaning) will not happen overnight. Nor with one tank. Or three. It will pay back when you are using the same fuel over many thousands of kilometres of highway/freeway driving. I speak from long experience, not some glossy marketing brochure. With SIDI engines, the benefits take longer to procure, because of their injection design as opposed to, for example, the Alloytec V6, which would be cleaned out thoroughly in 2 to 3,000km. This fundamental difference in engines does not in any way negate the value of using 95/98 (95 for Alloytecs 2005 onward, 98 for SIDI, 2009 onward) in SIDIs that certainly can benefit, but only if you are focused on improvement over the medium to long term. Nothing will happen in 24 hours of dreaming. It is the cherished preserve of enthusiasts who think 95/98 is a gimmick, because they have no understanding of how the engine will benefit going forward, instead they are disappointed and aggrieved to pay that much extra and not get the dreamed-of 100rwkw increase in power, grunt, snort and wank factor from the first tank, and nothing after that!! Takeaway: 95/98 is a long term commitment.

The cost benefit analysis just doesn’t stack up with 98 if your car can run on 91. It used to stack up when the cost differential was smaller but now it’s a 20cpl difference your fuel consumption needs to be nearly 20% better at current fuel prices to make it worth it.

As I’ve said though I can see benefits if your not just tootling about and giving it the beans.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
It's actually a 30cpl difference. Doesn't worry me. Also, I pay for my own fuel. I do not use a work account like some colleagues do.

And I don't tootle about. Verboten. When she's taken out, she gets to stretch her legs and relax at moderately intensive revs. No cruising the 'burbs. I use my MTB for that (though the VF is not as stuffed by hills as I am by the time I get to the top...)

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited: