Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I get bout 500km on E10 on the highway , and about 560-580km with 98 both with a bit of around town driving so at current prices cost about $18 to get the extra 60-80km ,I haven't tried 95

EDIT: But that's with a charger and cam

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Every time before I go somewhere on a long trip I say to myself I'm going to behave, stick to the speed limit and take my time.....then i get stuck behind some **** going 10-15km/h below the speed limit and the rest is history... (have supercharger and will use it :D)

Derekthetree

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen-F R8 SV Manual
Every time before I go somewhere on a long trip I say to myself I'm going to behave, stick to the speed limit and take my time.....then i get stuck behind some **** going 10-15km/h below the speed limit and the rest is history... (have supercharger and will use it :D)

You go past at +1km/h over the speed limit. Right?!

Might be the future though.
New rules in the EU are mandating speed limiters on all new cars from 2022. While not active from day 1, they have the potential to cut fuel to the engine, should you happen to go faster than the posted speed limit

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...to-have-speed-limiters-by-2022-under-eu-plans

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
The endless amateurish debate about the merits of petrol and referrals to SpewTube don't reflect real world experiences, certainly one should not be eyeballing US-style driving as opposed to Australian.

Some points to take note of.
If you are expecting to note a difference, big or small, with a tank or two of 95 or 98, you are going to be disappointed.
If you are a leadfoot only interested in speed and 'performance', again you are going to be disappointed.
If you are a long distance traveller and use 95 , 98 or 100 persistently, a lot of things will improve. It is not a one-hit wonder that many arrogantly assume.

I switched to using 98 in a VZ (3.6 Alloytec), in use continuously from 2010 until late October 2019. Economy went from 10.3L/100km when I first go it, to 6.8 to 7.5L/100 (highway/freeway) on 3 trips around Australia. It was still recording this with tiny variations when it was sold off with 195,300km clocked. The VF SiDi engine is an entirely different beast and not shy of sending up its older cousins.

95 and 98 are hot fuels and provide easier starting in very cold conditions and smooth idle, all things else being equal. It will not cure misfires, not will it increase engine power first off. In Alloytec V6 engines, persistent use of 95/98 will scrupulously clean just about anything in contact with the high combustion temperatures. On the other hand, in SiDi V6 engines, 95/98 will improve performance over time, but will not result in a clean-burning engine, because the nature of the engine — the design, does not afford it (Alloytecs = ported injection; SiDi = direct injection, hence their ever-present sooty nature). True, plugs will be 'wiped' on long, high speed runs but they will soot-up again the moment you go back to frequent burns around the burbs. On Alloytec engines, plugs will be grey-white on removal after a long trip. On SiDi, they will be quite sooty. The requirement for PL/IR plugs in these engines is a hedge against the high temperature and build up of soot: it is harder for it to adhere to PL/IR materials.
As before I use 98 in the SiDi and get anything from 4.3 to 6.4L/100 on short highway/freeway jaunts, and down to 3.9/100 on much longer drives e.g. Victoria to Alice Springs. It's not about being lead-footed or racing the clock: anything like that is a waste of money.

91 and E10 offer no proven advantage in modern engines, despite E10 and E85 having a higher power rating, the economy of either/both is poor and will result in more frequent refills.

The takeaway is don't kid yourself that a couple of tanks of premium will be the wonder kick in the pants a performance car needs after years of running on Uncle's Soup (91) or meth (E10/ E85). The benefits of premium petrol will only become obvious after a lot of driving and observation. This is no doubt the reason premium gets so much negative feedback because the expectation of drivers is unrealistic!

Persistence is key.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
What was interesting was the fact that you lose 3% fuel efficiency from e10 and yet its on average only 2% cheaper. I learned something, I'm going to use 91 for a while now and see how it goes.

LOL! If you are driving a VE Clubsport, stop playing games and run it on PULP98. But not one or two tanks. Continuously!
Putting 91 in that and like-cars is silly. I suppose they then go out looking for a performance hit by getting OTR, CAI, lowers, throttle controllers... whatever else you can think of, and still stick with and swear by 91! Seriously...:rolleyes:

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
You go past at +1km/h over the speed limit. Right?!

Definitely, I check the speedo just before I accelerate and again once I've pulled into traffic..... Never did I see the speedo above the posted speed limit.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
I saw premium prices yesterday for $1.79. I still can't get my head around the variance in petrol prices in Sydney.

So...? How much is a bottle of milk?
A beer?
A gin...?
Or 3 gourmet tomatoes...?
A refill of the gas canister for the barbie??

Pucker-up, swee'pea. You spend a fortune on a nice car, only to run it on 91, because......hmm!? It's not the done thing.
(I'll keel over and hit the gin if any of you swagger up and say you're running your Mk Vi 433rwkw Redline or SSV or whatever else...on 91!! )

Things costing an arm and a leg are everywhere around us today, and we really should not be carping about the cost of petrol, which is driven by insidious market forces. We get good and bad times. Remember how home owners with girnormous mortgages carped? Not this year, they're rejoicing!! If we were in the US, maybe we would be justified in carping (among other things going on right now).

PULP98 is $1.79 where I am too; that's with BP. Smaller independents are sometimes cheaper.
In Alice Springs in February it was $2.20/L. Diesel was even more. People travel very long distances there so it really, really hurts to burn through tanks of petrol, be it 91, 95 or 98 (PULP100 is no longer available in Central Australia).

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
LOL! If you are driving a VE Clubsport, stop playing games and run it on PULP98. But not one or two tanks. Continuously!
Putting 91 in that and like-cars is silly. I suppose they then go out looking for a performance hit by getting OTR, CAI, lowers, throttle controllers... whatever else you can think of, and still stick with and swear by 91! Seriously...:rolleyes:
I completely agree with that mate, I wouldn’t even fathom putting 91 octane in a performance based car like an hsv clubsport!!

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
without a tune anything but 91/e10 is burning money

facts dont care about your feelings ,,, of the car running "better"