Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
without a tune anything but 91/e10 is burning money

facts dont care about your feelings ,,, of the car running "better"

None or any of the VFs need — in absolute or theoretical terms, a "tune" to perform better with any fuel.
Riddle me this: why was I (or reflect to millions of others) never bothered getting a tune with a VZ or the current VF?
As I stated above with a handful of examples, of course there are thousands of ways to blow a ton of money. Petrol is at the very, very minor end of the scale: we need to continue consuming it just to maintain the lifestyle we are accustomed to, no different to buying food, a WiFi kettle or outfitting a home gym.

Ginger Beer

Reaction score
Members Ride
Dunnydoore
Best thing I did for fuel economy was 3:91 gears and a 2800 stall

The game is about how much fuel you use isn't it???

Meh, COSTCO currently has 98 for $1.16 litre, at that price I try and use as much as I can

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
**** I wish we had similar fuel prices over here. ATM, my local Mobil has 91 @ $2.01 and 98 @ $2.40 and doesn't supply 95 :( Now that is been raped for 98!

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
LOL! If you are driving a VE Clubsport, stop playing games and run it on PULP98. But not one or two tanks. Continuously!
Putting 91 in that and like-cars is silly. I suppose they then go out looking for a performance hit by getting OTR, CAI, lowers, throttle controllers... whatever else you can think of, and still stick with and swear by 91! Seriously...:rolleyes:

This ^^^^^
I liken using 95 and 98 from time to time to a fat man who eat Hungry Jacks and KFC every meal for the last 20 years, then eating lean meat and salad for a day or two every now and then and wondering why he hasn't lost the 20kgs he'd hoped for. 95 and 98 takes 5 or 6 tanks to start seeing the real benefits. I only ever use 95 or 98 on my old bus and it certainly seems to get better economy and better feel than dirty old 91 that doesn't get anywhere near filtered like PULP does before it gets dumped at the bowser.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Indeed.

Petrol companies are overcharging on the higher grades and face possible govco intervention. Auckland also has a regional fuel tax which is about 12.5 cents/L so outside of Auckland it is a bit cheaper.

Most petrol companies also do loyalty discounts so at Mobil I always get 6 cents/L off and 10c on special days, same with Z, we get 12c/L and 16c/L on special days because of my missus work discounts but Z doesn't supply 98 which our L67 is tuned for :(

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
**** I wish we had similar fuel prices over here. ATM, my local Mobil has 91 @ $2.01 and 98 @ $2.40 and doesn't supply 95 :( Now that is been raped for 98!

It's the NZ currency difference that bites compared to what you observe in Australia. I don't know what NZ imported petrol is measured by e.g. Tapos Crude (Singapore gate) or Brent Crude that also plays into the cost beside currency difference. In my experience, everything in NZ has been expensive! Groceries, petrol, diesel, fares, jet boat rides and anything to do in Queenstown... and donuts - - Dunedin being a prime example!!

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Exchange rate is certainly part of it and part is just plain simple profiteering. Queenstown is really bad for overcharging as they thing tourists are rich and can afford to pay exorbitant prices, Rotorua is the same. In fact, we are a tourist destination so it seems overcharging for everything seems to have become the norm.

I like Queenstown but hate the pricing, my missus is great at finding all the local specials so fortunately we rarely pay full price for most stuff.