Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Same in North Tas we get ripped here. 1.23 for 91, 1.37 or more for 95. Where are we are supposed to be around 1.05 for 91 based on the extra freight. However there is a new player in Town, which has shaken up things in the last couple of weeks. They are selling good quality fuel and not United **** at 1.09 as they know we have been ripped in Tas, for as long as I can remember. Only issue is you will have to be ok with queueing up as a lot of people are filling up there now.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Sydney has just jumped up to from $1.01 to $1.45 for 91. How's that for a price cycle...
Lucky I filled up yesterday and got 98 for 1.20

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
That's pure gouging there Greenacc.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I use the NRMA app, it's excellent as you can see prices in real time. I believe there was legislation passed in 2018-19 (in NSW) that forced petrol companies to share their prices publicly. It's map based, so you can zoom out to suburb or even rough area, sort it by distance or price and fuel type. It has saved me heaps over the year that I've had it - e.g. I had to fill up yesterday and my locals were all around $1.65. But there was one 5 mins out of my way home for $1.25. Price difference on a full tank $24.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yeah, it's blatant. I've been keeping a close eye on multiple parts of Sydney. Some servos are always cheap, going from about 92-102. Blacktown and Granville. Then others are 1.50 constantly.

I notice prices don't really follow the trends of cheaper fuel on Tuesday and Wednesday really anymore.

I can't believe that one servo 100 meters away from another can be 50 cents more expensive.
That is exactly what happened yesterday. I was laughing at the caltex with a price of $1.45 for 91 that was dead quiet, not a customer in sight straight across the road from the BP full of people filling up for $1.01
I always use the fuel check app when the price is high.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Err, aren't you in Auckland. I'm considering moving there. Why is petrol so expensive there?
Our petrol is more expensive yes (Auckland especially) but our rego is a lot than Aussie mate, I can rego my ve ss for a year @ $120... I believe you’d pay 10 times that in oz?

whiskeytango

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII 5.0
I pay around $1.32 for 98. It was $0.98 for a couple of months near the start of the year.

Doesn't the extra tax on fuel go into NZ roads? This pretty much means only road users pay for roads instead of everyone in their yearly tax. I think...
If I'm correct we probably end up paying the same for fuel with the amount extract we pay in normal tax when you think about it.

Also Vic used to charge me $560 for a V8 ute but QLD charges $1200 rego. Depending on the amount of kms a year you drive the higher fuel prices would certainly outweigh our rego costs.

Petrol Spy is a good app for prices.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Our petrol is more expensive yes (Auckland especially) but our rego is a lot than Aussie mate, I can rego my ve ss for a year @ $120... I believe you’d pay 10 times that in oz?
Every state is different so it's hard to compare ... so lemme break it down for NSW, to compare to yours. :)
Comprehensive insurance is unrelated to registration; I doubt you've included that?
Compulsory 3rd-party injury insurance is NOT included in rego for NSW, it is for other Oz states. That's about ~$400. This is coverage for injury to people other than the drivers of the 2 cars, and it's included in rego for other states (and was in NSW until I'd say 1990-ish).
Rego itself is ~$400.
Then there's also a minimal road-safety check, that's ~$40.

So NSW I'd say is the most expensive, and it's about $840 (edited after addition below). So yeah, heaps more.

I pay around $1.32 for 98. It was $0.98 for a couple of months near the start of the year.
Yeah, it got that low even in Sydney (despite Sydney Tax).
Last time I bought petrol was about 3 weeks ago, I paid $1.21, which before March this year is probably where it was 15-ish years ago.
But as others have said, the variances at the moment are ridiculous, this thread yesterday had me check the NSW government fuel-watch site, and around the servo's about a 4km radius from home the prices for 98 ranged from $1.25 up to $1.76. That's a bit ridiculous!

Also Vic used to charge me $560 for a V8 ute but QLD charges $1200 rego.
Ouch, really?!
They must slam you hard for the extra cylinders up there!

And yes the fuel excise in Australia is theoretically "for roads", but it just goes into general revenue. So no guarantee it's going on roads. I guess if you were keen you could calculate road expenditure vs excise takings, but even then it would get complicated with the states probably needing to spend GST money to maintain state roads etc etc.

Last edited: