Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Moderns cars adjust the timing advance depending on the fuel quality using the knock sensors.

Interestingly, the VS ecotec V6 had the ability in the tune but Holden never utilized it and tuned it on 91 :(
What’s your opinion on our gull 98 (e10) compared to mobil and bp 98? Never been a fan of bp coz of their rip off prices but Mobil is on par with them nowadays

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Interestingly, the VS ecotec V6 had the ability in the tune but Holden never utilized it and tuned it on 91 :(

Yeah my old Buick has been advanced in the tune. It will be interesting to see if I notice any difference with 98 as apposed to 95 that I have run for years. Today was my first full tank of 98. So be a few weeks before I see any improvement. But I suspect on my old girl I don't have the HP to notice any difference in the pedal.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
What’s your opinion on our gull 98 (e10) compared to mobil and bp 98? Never been a fan of bp coz of their rip off prices but Mobil is on par with them nowadays

Never tried it. I too refuse to use BP but as you say, Mobil have become rip off cunts just like them. I'm waiting on the government to regulate.... In the mean time I'm really considering retuning on 95 as I can get 12c/L off on that any day of the week.

Any moons ago I tried Gull e10 in our old VS V6 and lost a decent amount per tank so went back to regular 91.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I used to mix my own fuel for the bike going back when super was still available. I used to be able to make 102 octane. Now we have 98 at 1.29 instead of 1.42 and I'm filling up the ute I will be getting my bike fuel from the same outlet, instead of needing to go to BP as 98 is rare in .North Tas.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Never tried it. I too refuse to use BP but as you say, Mobil have become rip off cunts just like them. I'm waiting on the government to regulate.... In the mean time I'm really considering retuning on 95 as I can get 12c/L off on that any day of the week.

Any moons ago I tried Gull e10 in our old VS V6 and lost a decent amount per tank so went back to regular 91.
I really couldn‘t understand how bp thought their 98 octane was worth 15-20c per litre more than anyone else but now it seems mobil have caught on to the fact that they charge that much and followed suite dirty *******

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Mobil in SA had 98 at around 12cpl more than 95 when I filled up there close to 2 years ago. Rip off, over here Coles are the worst they charge over 20cpl above the price of 91 for 95. Even with a Coles docket I can still buy 98 cheaper from Statewide than I can buy 95 from Coles.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Used to deliberately fill my petrol container for my moto x bike at Mobil coz they had reasonably priced non ethanol 98, coz it sits for a while at a time so don’t want fuel that degrades quickly but yea things have changed

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
Used to deliberately fill my petrol container for my moto x bike at Mobil coz they had reasonably priced non ethanol 98, coz it sits for a while at a time so don’t want fuel that degrades quickly but yea things have changed

I always make sure I use 98 for the lawnmower. The fuel sits in the container for ages so best give it a chance to actually have an octane rating left by the time the container gets to the end!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I always make sure I use 98 for the lawnmower. The fuel sits in the container for ages so best give it a chance to actually have an octane rating left by the time the container gets to the end!

I use premium fuel in everything I own. I can then stick it in the ute if I get low on fuel. Plus I don't have to hang up the pump, instead I can fill the cans with the same one at the same time.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Moderns cars adjust the timing advance depending on the fuel quality using the knock sensors.

Dunno about that!
Ours went better on 95 than 91 ... 98 I couldn’t feel, but 95 had better throttle response & needed less go-pedal to achieve a constant speed OR an intended amount of acceleration. And it used less fuel on highway drives too.