Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I use premium fuel in everything I own. I can then stick it in the ute if I get low on fuel. Plus I don't have to hang up the pump, instead I can fill the cans with the same one at the same time.

I have to use 98 (when I’m not using LPG) in the SSV as it’s tuned for it. The SV6 on the other hand runs 91 as i can’t justify spending an extra 20 odd cents a litre for SFA benefit.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Dunno about that!
Ours went better on 95 than 91 ... 98 I couldn’t feel, but 95 had better throttle response & needed less go-pedal to achieve a constant speed OR an intended amount of acceleration. And it used less fuel on highway drives too.

I'm wondering if local climate has anything to do with it because a lot of people in aussie say the same thing but here in NZ I don't seem to get that effect and I tested it quiet carefully keeping track of the numbers.

Having said that, our VS wasn't stock, it had a few bolt on mods but one thing I found is it never liked any more timing. Definitely didn't like e10 for economy.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Having said that, our VS wasn't stock, it had a few bolt on mods but one thing I found is it never liked any more timing. Definitely didn't like e10 for economy.
Nothing gets great economy from e10. The ethanol has a lower calorific value than petrol so it generates less power when you burn the same amount. Hence you must burn more fuel to extract the same amount of power or cruise at the same speed.
It's like trying to put on weight drinking diet shakes.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Yup. Completely get that. E10 needs to be considerably cheaper to make it worthwhile putting in the tank over regular 91.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
I have to use 98 (when I’m not using LPG) in the SSV as it’s tuned for it. The SV6 on the other hand runs 91 as i can’t justify spending an extra 20 odd cents a litre for SFA benefit.

What?? The SV6 doesn't need a 'tune' to run or be optimised for 98.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
Yup. Completely get that. E10 needs to be considerably cheaper to make it worthwhile putting in the tank over regular 91.
for economy e10 needs to be 4% cheaper than 91 because it has 3% less energy content.

In SA it is almost always exactly 3c pl cheaper than 91 when its available at the same pump

I just go with where ever is cheapest on the day, whether that's 91 or e10 doesn't matter to me nor does brand.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
We only get E10 at Gull and they are mainly in Auckland and a few other selected places in the North Island. E10 is no good for me with the blower.

E85 isn't really commercially available here at all, there are a couple of servo's that have it that are close to race tracks but it sells at a great premium and simply isn't worth the hassle.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
We only get E10 at Gull and they are mainly in Auckland and a few other selected places in the North Island. E10 is no good for me with the blower.

E85 isn't really commercially available here at all, there are a couple of servo's that have it that are close to race tracks but it sells at a great premium and simply isn't worth the hassle.
Same in Tas, I have never seen E85 for sale. E10 is United but I avoid them. Twice in four years they have had contaminated fuel. 20 or more people used it, each time. It wrecked some engines, while others like the mother is law's, was more easily repaired as it was a petrol car. Lots of insurance claims for people who then had to claim damages from United Petroleum.