Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

a

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
You mean this one ?

And of course, the local version.....

Yes, that’s the one :cool: oddly ive not seen the ford version of the commercial :rolleyes:

I‘m not convinced of the cost benefit of 98 tier 1 fuel verses old 91RON and a good fuel system cleaner just before every oil change.

7500km @ 15lts/100 kms = 1125lts, @ $0.20 - $0.30/ltr price premium => $225 - $337 extra...

For example, by running on 91, you’ve saved for the cost of a couple bottles of good fuel system cleaner, good oil & oil filter which can be put towards the mid schedule home service with a little left over for some toys (catch can?). Meanwhile, over the next 7500kms you’ve saved more than the equivalent of the Holden scheduled service.

Having said that, there is no cost benefit to running a LS3, it’s an emotive benefit :p
Each to their own ;)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Yes, that’s the one :cool: oddly ive not seen the ford version of the commercial :rolleyes:

I‘m not convinced of the cost benefit of 98 tier 1 fuel verses old 91RON and a good fuel system cleaner just before every oil change.

7500km @ 15lts/100 kms = 1125lts, @ $0.20 - $0.30/ltr price premium => $225 - $337 extra...

For example, by running on 91, you’ve saved for the cost of a couple bottles of good fuel system cleaner, good oil & oil filter which can be put towards the mid schedule home service with a little left over for some toys (catch can?). Meanwhile, over the next 7500kms you’ve saved more than the equivalent of the Holden scheduled service.

Having said that, there is no cost benefit to running a LS3, it’s an emotive benefit :p
Each to their own ;)

Anything can be financially analysed to the nth degree.

e.g. One is paying interest on every flat white, pint of beer, smashed avo etc for the term of one's home loan compared to paying that cost off the home loan.

Meh.....one must enjoy life.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
which is why i also said

“there is no cost benefit to running a LS3, it’s an emotive benefit :p
Each to their own ;)

wild mulberry

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn 5lt berlina wagon
if you're gonna run any form of V8 why bother looking at the price of fuel? means you cant really afford to run the car...when you drive into the regional areas you dont get a choice of price...when you live in the regional areas, as i do, you dont get a choice of price either..... i really couldnt tell you what the price of fuel is in my town . why get yourself hung up about it when you have to fill up anyway? Just my humble opinion thats all

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Clubby is just a rebadged commodore, same same.

It is very much so. But HSV used different engines and different tunes which were done for the "enthusiast". What does the owners manual recommend is used?

Driving a V8 isn't recommended for those who's primary goal is economy..... It's a aural experience, it's a physical experience when you nail the throttle and let the beast rev, you don't just hear it, you feel it, then you pull the next gear and do it all again......

I've been driving my boys car (6 speed manual Subaru with 6 cylinder engine), it has an exhaust and sounds bloody good right between 3-4000rpm. It likes to rev and I let it sing..... ******* boy (old man) racers. :)

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Since this is a fuelly thread ... I had the old project car pink-slipped today, was talking to my mechanic about the stuck IAC, and he initially thought the problem might be fuel.

He said 98 is really unstable & only lasts a month before getting dodgy ... he reckons 95 is nowhere near as unstable, and that if you go for a drive before the car's going to be parked for some time you should try & use as much as possible of your 98 & put at least a half-tank of 95 in for when it's sitting there. He also reckons never use 98 for mowers, whippersnippers etc for the same reason.

Subju

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport Tourer
a

Last edited:

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
I just finished a tank of E10 and got 582km on 69.5L , i was a bit surprised as highway traffic was stop go for atleast 5 to 10 min each morning and a few days in the arvo . I just filled it again with E10 and will see how this tank goes . i think the jobs are a bit closer this week which seems to use more fuel as the highway klm's are a lot less

EDIT: I was doing 128k's a day there and back with about 25km done on local traffic roads for 3 days , a trip to the shopping centre 1 day and 1 day 128km's there and back and a one way trip of 64k's with 6 k's on local roads .

EDIT AGAIN : I thought i might have made a mistake so i checked my distances on google maps and according to that i did 604km's which did my head in , i think i need KIT-KAT !!

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Since this is a fuelly thread ... I had the old project car pink-slipped today, was talking to my mechanic about the stuck IAC, and he initially thought the problem might be fuel.

He said 98 is really unstable & only lasts a month before getting dodgy ... he reckons 95 is nowhere near as unstable, and that if you go for a drive before the car's going to be parked for some time you should try & use as much as possible of your 98 & put at least a half-tank of 95 in for when it's sitting there. He also reckons never use 98 for mowers, whippersnippers etc for the same reason.

I've been using 98 in my mower & whippersnipper for 20 years or more.

I'm still using the same mower and I'm on my second wippershippper.

They get to drink 98 because it's easier to fill the drums while I'm doing the car.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Today, my girl got her first drink of 98 today at a 1:18c. e10 was 1:05 so its almost worth it at that price.

Let the science begin.

I used to have a company car and the benefits of a fuel card, the car was much more lower powered so any differences were felt in a more pronounced manner (Yaris) the E10 and I repeat should be tipped directly onto the ground and never put in a car. less power and rubbish economy. 91 and up were about the same as the car was designed to run on them.

Your HSV will have a tune that will benefit from premium fuel - 95 is a recommendation, however 95 is rarely available so 98 it is.

Last edited: