Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85 conversion kit?

TheBudget

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 1 Sv6 LLT
Is there any e85 conversion kits out there for the LLT 3.6 v6 engine? Or atheist where could I find specifications on my fuel system.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
For the 2011 series 2, the 3ltr V6 and 6ltr V8 are E85 compatible while the 3.6ltr V6 is not...

For e85, the tank, fuel lines, vapour lines and seals need to be alcohol compatible. Whether all these components are standardised as e85 capable as a matter of production/parts consolidation, I don’t know. You also need a flex fuel sensor and wiring to the ECU. And the ECU needs to be able to accept the flex fuel sensor wire and have appropriate map that caters for the % alcohol reported by the flex fuel sensor... (I’ve read the 3.6ltr V6 ECU is not capable of handling the flex fuel sensor input but I cam5 say whether this is correct or not so it needs to be looked into).

So you'd need to check the 3ltr and/or 6ltr parts list against the 3.6ltr parts list and if the parts are the same then they are e85 compatible.

I‘ve also heard that the piston rings are different in flex fuel engines but no idea if this is actually true... but the injectors must be able to cope with the higher fuel flow volume needed for e85 so thats one thing would need updating.

As to a kit... haven’t heard or looked for one as I don’t have an LLT...

You may want to read this thread and the links within for more background...

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
On a side note:
With my fuel consuption calculations on road trips,
E85 Fuel does not last as long as E10, 91 or 95,
As a rule of thumb, 71 Litres of 91/95 is equivalent to approx 60 Litres E85 on a six hour drive. [eg: Melbourne to Mildura]
71 Litres of E85 does not last as long as 71 Litres 91 or 95 per tank.