Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

e85 in my ve ssv?

Mikey_mikestar

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
Just wondering if anyone puts e85 in their car? I'de say probably not but just put it out there.
And on that do most people put 95 or 98 and what are the benefits of using 98?

Mikey_mikestar

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
Thanks Darren, was a good read. I put 95 in at the moment and wondered if there was any point in going 98.

Evil Empire

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V
Based on Darren D's article, I'll happily find the extra $100p.a. and continue running my car on 98. It's getting harder to trust what some dodgy servo's are adding to some of these blended fuels these days, so I also think 98 may be the safest, and potentially less tampered with of all the options. I could be ignorant in that regard, but 98 seems to get a good rap for looking after your engine and prolonging it's life.

Kenny23

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve ssv
Not really much point running e85 unless u get ur car tuned for it. In regards to whether u're able to run e85 or not, please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the newer year ssv (2011+) you are able to run e85 straightaway. But pre 2011, u wont be able to (well u'll have to upgrade your fuel lines etc).

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl

Darren thanks for that, but Toby's test there is with three 3.0 v6 which are not even slightly similar to the SS 6.0 that the OP was asking about.
OP it's definitely worth it when your car is tuned closer to stoich and timing advanced - can get 6-11% more HP and TQ than 98 without KR (engine knock retardation) pulling you under the curve. Keeps everything running better for longer, my car has drunk more than 12,000 litres (2/3 of a tanker) over the past couple of years since new, average 13l/100k with a boot full of booze, helps save the ozones and shoots wicked white flames out back too!
As to cost / benefit, basically with the added cajones... any time price is less than $1.35/litre. However at the moment, being 60-65% ethanol in most servos running out the winter blend, you won't get the performance or reasonable economy unless you remap the crappy stock tables. So why not get you car breathing better and have it dyno tuned for alcohol fitness to get more out of it for less. Then logically it goes like this:
IF ([price_98] - 20%) > [price_e85] AND [price_e85] < $1.35 THEN e85 ELSE 98.

Last edited:

Mikey_mikestar

Reaction score
Members Ride
07 VE SSV
Thanks guys, Kenny it has a e85 compatible label inside the fuel lid. This was the reason I asked the question otherwise I probably wouldn't even think to put 85 in it.

johnowenmc

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE S2 Calais V Redline Sportwagon
I'm running e85 in my CalaisV Redline. Runs well but only getting about 400km from a tank. I'm getting it from Caltex or United for about $1.20L