Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

e85 in my ve ssv?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
yep like what has been said the tune u got was for petrol, now with the E85 in the tank the ecu changes to the different tables which are standard and if u are mafless it would be way out and not tuned... u could get the original guy to tune the E85 side otherwise the ecu is probably locked and u will have to pay full price to unlock it ( which deletes all modified tunes and goes back to factory ) with a new tuner and do both tunes again...

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
yep like what has been said the tune u got was for petrol, now with the E85 in the tank the ecu changes to the different tables which are standard and if u are mafless it would be way out and not tuned... u could get the original guy to tune the E85 side otherwise the ecu is probably locked and u will have to pay full price to unlock it ( which deletes all modified tunes and goes back to factory ) with a new tuner and do both tunes again...

Yes, as your guy uses HPtuners by the looks.

viper76

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-Z Redline
Stupid questions time (again)

Should they have done both sides at the same time?

Could they have done it even though E85 wasn't in the tank at the time?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
they would need to do each tune with the different fuels in the tank

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Stupid questions time (again)

Should they have done both sides at the same time?

Could they have done it even though E85 wasn't in the tank at the time?

Not unless you asked, and yes HPtuners with some e85 tuning experience can do blind approximation but not as well as with in tank in my experience. I found tuners do better 'blind' with EFI live's virtual VE mapping & ethanol calcs.

viper76

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-Z Redline
so i'm booked in with a new company to re-do the tuning on the car.

Tuesday for a power run with P98 in the tank and thursday with E85.

Cost me a bit more than the $600 but its an FBT car and i have about $4K surplus to use up so what the hell :) Pity I couldn't throw a stage 1 cam in while still under warranty but that'll have to keep for another 2 years yet :)

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
G'day all,

First time poster :)

I've started running E85 in the SSV after we finally got a servo here in Perth close by. Struggling to get 350km per tank out of it. When I got the car I put a cat back exhaust, tune and OTR on it. First start in the morning it is struggling and has cut out twice. Running P98 it would fire instantly and get to about 1600 RPM in a split second before settling on about 1200 until it was warm.

I've rung Holden, formula tech and united fuel about the starting issue and the km's per 100. Holden said not interested in talking about it until you bring it in. United said it needs a tune and formulatech says united are wrong but he'll take my money and re-tune if that's what I want.

so looking for people who have been through the same situation and do I need a retune or is something else wrong? No point throwing $600 out the window if a re-tune won't do anything.

cheers

Viper I have an SSV sedan made in the same month as yours - symptoms you describe are also afflicting my car. Runs super rich ~21L/100km, hard to turn over on cold start up and even cuts out while driving the first few 100 metres. I'm guessing some monkey at the plant was putting in the wrong sensors when our cars were made. Mines stock as I have been struggling with this issue from day dot on the e85 fuel. I'm bringing it in to Holden on friday with the e85 fuel in the tank for them to 'replicate' the cold start issue. Hopefully I'll have some info or insight to share on this problem next weekend.

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
I've postponed bringing in the car until next week friday.
I've put 1.5 tanks of e85 through the engine and its starting to choke on start up but nowhere near as bad as it was when I had ran in 4+ consecutive tanks of e85.
I imagine there is some residual Shell V-power 98 left in the engine that is letting the motor start up still without sputtering out too badly.
As a funny sidenote I received my 15k service invoice from the Holden dealers where I had the car serviced earlier this month and on it they put in writing that e85 is not suitable for this model.
Logged the issue with Holden Manufacturing who assured me the dealership was wrong and in the event they don't find and fix the problem next week the car will be sent to the manufacturings head techs to fix....