Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85 Issues...

ChuckDuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV - VR CALAIS
So I've been told I can run E85 in my VE SS L98..
Went and put some in, ran fine for maybe 5 minutes then it just started coughing and spluttering, popped and little backfires. Check engine light is now on.

Anyone else had these issues?

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
So I've been told I can run E85 in my VE SS L98..
Went and put some in, ran fine for maybe 5 minutes then it just started coughing and spluttering, popped and little backfires. Check engine light is now on.

Anyone else had these issues?
Wow, how much did you put in?
L98 is not e85 compatible, most you can trial is about 10l per tank.

ChuckDuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV - VR CALAIS
I put half a tank in realised it was acting up so I went and filled it the rest of the way with 98 octane. Its stopped the spluttering but still has the check engine light on. This would be because its running rich?

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
You can run e85 in a VE / VF V8 with a tune, or any mix of e85 and petrol with a sensor and a tune.
It will not harm your car but yeah will have trouble working out how to run properly.

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
I put half a tank in realised it was acting up so I went and filled it the rest of the way with 98 octane. Its stopped the spluttering but still has the check engine light on. This would be because its running rich?
No because it is running lean. Not dangerously lean if you don’t load it up under part throttle.
It won’t knock, which is the main thing. Just mainly sparking too late down low, not enough fuel, spitting out the headers, backfiring through cats.

ChuckDuck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV - VR CALAIS
So seeming I've topped it up with the 98 and keep topping it up for a couple of days should be fine?

rognvald261

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS A6
So seeming I've topped it up with the 98 and keep topping it up for a couple of days should be fine?
Absolutely. As it is running OK just engine light then I’d clear the light, basically will be really good once you get the ~30l closer to 10l.
At that point you can load it up 1200-4500 and observe the torque difference without harm. Of course flashing a proper tune for it makes a massive difference because of different character of ethanol.
An in-line sensor costs like $100 plus fitting, flashing basic flex tune starts $400.