Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85 price.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I would like to see a more simplified version of all that that with, say, 2019 figures, showing a pie-chart with who gets what at $1.50.
I agree with you about the present gouging, and my favourite stretch is the Cumberland Hway between the M1 and M2 motorways around Thornleigh (Sydney).
In late January, the price of 98 was $1.90+, whereas elsewhere it was around $1.50.
Although according to NSW Fuel Check site, 98 is currently at $1.40+, roughly in line with surrounding suburbs. Our locals are $1.35.

I was prepared to pay over $2.00 for 91 while on our short stay in NZ, but was surprised that it was less, some little towns were in the $1.80+ range.

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
No wonder there are so many fuel drive offs on police ten7.....

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Why are you angling for E85 when you can buy PULP98 for $1.52/L at this time?

E85 might be "higher octane", but it has less energy than traditional petrol, and that is one of the reasons it hasn't really taken off in Australia, much like E10 (which my VF has a yellow sticker giving the OK to using that crap). I wouldn't use it on the presumption it is cleaner and more efficient (and definitely not for "higher octane"), especially on long-haul intra- and interstate journeys, but fine for pottering around town and the 'burbs. Some E85 is blended at the VIVA Refinery in Victoria (a very small percentage), the rest being imported, and the pitiful value of the Australian dollar is the reason there is a high cost to it. Supply is outstripping demand presently with the COVID-19 pandemic, with greatly less people on the roads around Australia that is driving petrol, especially PULP varities, down to incredible levels. Don't throw the opportunity away.

There is definitely some gouging occurring among retailers; I have seen PULP98 for $1.82L in once place, and $1.45 or so a few kilometres down (South Australia, Victoria; NT remains high because of transport costs).

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
E85 might be "higher octane", but it has less energy than traditional petrol, and that is one of the reasons it hasn't really taken off in Australia, much like E10 (which my VF has a yellow sticker giving the OK to using that crap).
I think the main reason it never took off is because ... it never took off. :)

I think a lot more servo's needed to take the leap into an unknown territory, and if they had, more people would've gone to the effort of getting their car tuned for E85. But using 1/3 of a tank just getting to a servo with E85 turned a lot of people off getting a road-car tuned for E85 (eg. me), meaning most of the servos that were selling E85 stopped doing so. It's so uncommon now that I wouldn't even consider it for a road car, and I'm happy I didn't spend time & money getting the car tuned to work with a flex-fuel sensor.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I think the main reason it never took off is because ... it never took off. :)
I thought it was only Volvo, Saab and Holden that had E85 comparability, so it was never a huge market to begging with. E85 also wasn’t mandated by legislation at servo’s which wouldn’t have helped. Price and availability also never helped the situation. Later, Holden dropped their E85 push which effectively pulled the plug on the fuel. So yep, it never took off :oops:

But I’d hazard a guess that, globally, Ethanol is being redirected to making huge amounts of disinfectant products due to the current rather high demand caused by coronavirus. Sounds logical for such to be occurring so it’s probably not be true :p

Oddly, it seems ethanol price has had a similar fate to crude oil where prices which have dropped globally. So why is E85 still so expensive? Greed, profiteering and such just like with petrol :eek:

My only question is where can one find any hand sanitiser and disinfectant given that this stuff is important in today’s climate o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I would like to see a more simplified version of all that that with, say, 2019 figures, showing a pie-chart with who gets what at $1.50...
The graph says it all and I’m surprised that the government even produced such an easily digestible report (which I’ve yet to read in detail). This report, though old, does help to quantify the level of gouging going on today but nothing is being done by any agency to stop it... it’s just part of the rort.

Pie charts seem a great idea but unless there is a forensic analysis to show where the monies end up, it’s too easy for an Australian company to hide profits within their own foreign subsidiary and make it look like a legitimate cost (why the tax department accepts such crap is beyond understanding). So to the layman it may look like some fair distribution of the oil wealth but the reality is it’s not. Just look at W.A. lpg which is sent OS before being bought back at exorbitant prices to sell to the eastern states of Aussie. A Pie chart won’t clarify such theft...

Gov’s and companies have their snouts firmly in the trough which is fed from our pockets... nothing’s gonna change unless the masses force the change.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
My only question is where can one find any hand sanitiser and disinfectant given that this stuff is important in today’s climate

Go to the chemist and get a bottle of 5-Chlorhexidine Concentrate* (made by Microshield Australia); it is a 500ml bottle that can be used raw (e.g. in a small atomiser for on-the-go hand sanitising), or mix 100ml solution to 150ml distilled water, and make up to 1 litre with ethanol (methylated spirits is fine). Tiny bottles of sanitiser are being flogged for $7.99 (come on, that's $8 isn't it??) at Chemists — ridiculous. While the bottle of 5-Chlorhex isn't cheap $39 avg.), this suggestion is an effective, novel and hospital-grade, long-duration workaround, and what you don't use later can be used in household first aid.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
But I’d hazard a guess that, globally, Ethanol is being redirected to making huge amounts of disinfectant products due to the current rather high demand caused by coronavirus. Sounds logical for such to be occurring so it’s probably not be true

Micro-breweries, and Carlton United Brewery are now making hand sanitiser for hospitals and GP clinics. A brilliant example of repurposing production for an acute need to address shortages caused by panic buying!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Micro-breweries, and Carlton United Brewery are now making hand sanitiser for hospitals and GP clinics. A brilliant example of repurposing production for an acute need to address shortages caused by panic buying!
Good that micro breweries are repurposing but it small scale stuff really... Global ethanol production for E85 was at rather high levels so one would thing they could do something useful with such a commodity. Maybe it’s not hospital grade ethanol but I think that could be addressed (and has been addressed here).

As I understand, ethanol for a disinfectant is great as it kills on contact but it needs concentrations of at-least 60% or 70%. At that level good ventilation is needed as the stuff is rather flammable.

Thanks for the clorohexidine hint :) but now everybody knows so the run on the stuff will start now o_O

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the clorohexidine hint :) but now everybody knows so the run on the stuff will start now

Unlikely. It is usually kept behind the counter and issued by the chemist, as with asthma inhalers and painkillers now. The majority of loopy panic buyers are not clued up enough to want to spend almost $40 on a bottle of stuff they can't identify with.