Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85 Race Tune Pirate may have been right!

rory

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
It has only had hot starts so far so need to wait until the morning but I don't think I will have trouble in Adelaide in Summer, if ever.

Fair enough, I have heard of needing 5+ minutes to start on some colder winter mornings in Perth with an Evo, I'm guessing thats a different kettle of fish though.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Near 85% ethanol can take a few extra cranks, see below, but flex fuel (Caltex) is tailored for winter and no probs.

[video=youtube_share;1blRAkgAFWg]http://youtu.be/1blRAkgAFWg[/video]

benjo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS S2 Thunder Ute
I am curious what cold starts are like on factory E85 cars, OP and pirate feel free to weigh in.

In mine after about 4 tanks of e85 mine starts like it's got a flat batery, put 98 back in and fires instantly, I believe pirate says it can fixed with a tune.

Edit- just reading above might give caltex stuff a go and see if I have the same problem

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Near 85% ethanol can take a few extra cranks, see below, but flex fuel (Caltex) is tailored for winter and no probs.

This is the same video you used to the thread with the guy having loud noises at cold start and you advised to let it warm 3 minutes. So is it about E85 or noises on startup which you said was normal.

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I have a Saab BioPower, runs on anything from 91 through to E85. I use E85 all the time, 2 litre turbo goes from 175 horsepower on petrol to 200 horsepower on E85, according to Saab. I've had it up on the Darling Downs in winter where it can be minus temps and have never had an issue with cold starting.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
This is the same video you used to the thread with the guy having loud noises at cold start and you advised to let it warm 3 minutes. So is it about E85 or noises on startup which you said was normal.

Why did I take a video? Last winter 427Cuda made the switch to Penrite 0w50 high zinc for sub zero Wagga weather like I had done, and his car made engine noise when cold, this was originally posted as video response to that.

Fits the bill for both Rory's dead cold start on e85 query and deanojet's warmup (engine noise when cold) post, doesn't it?!

I don't get what the confusion is... perhaps you are just being silly and belligerent :boxing:

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Why did I take a video? Last winter 427Cuda made the switch to Penrite 0w50 high zinc for sub zero Wagga weather like I had done, and his car made engine noise when cold, this was originally posted as video response to that.

Fits the bill for both Rory's dead cold start on e85 query and deanojet's warmup (engine noise when cold) post, doesn't it?!

I don't get what the confusion is... perhaps you are just being silly and belligerent :boxing:

Yeah, that must be it. Me being silly and belligerent. Last post. Bye.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I just swaped over to full time e85 and on first cold start it just catches at the end of auto start, so I added more fuel to the cold areas in cranking fueling table and starts same as when I was on petrol now...

WazzaVN

Wazza VN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 6ltr ute, VP Calais and HJ Prem

Pirate from what I can hear in that video your engine sounds exactly the same as my l76. the slight lifter tapping and the little squeak. is the squeak just the belt? I think we might use the same Penrite oil too. was you engine more stock then?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I have a Saab BioPower, runs on anything from 91 through to E85. I use E85 all the time, 2 litre turbo goes from 175 horsepower on petrol to 200 horsepower on E85, according to Saab. I've had it up on the Darling Downs in winter where it can be minus temps and have never had an issue with cold starting.

Wow that engine is really amazing technically, but I think Saab is dead now since GFC? Or most stuff sold to the Chinese like our Commodore?
150 HP / litre is cool but I reckon the 9-7x mod-sized SUV with 295kW LS2 (L76?) would've been a cracker! Good read here.