Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

E85

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
i get exactly what your saying brad,
but until E85 is offered at every servo then you cant have a car that can only run on it,
so as the fuel becomes more available well see engines made specifically for it in the future,
but at the moment its pretty cool that the series 2 can sense and run on both with different maps to suit and make some use of the higher RON!

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
That's why regular unleaded needs to be phased out. About 30% ethanol would be ideal as a minimum grade fuel because it would still work fine in existing cars. Also there is no way Ethanol could be produced in enough volume to run E85 in all cars on the road which is why I think 30% would be ideal. Dreaming I know!

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
apparently the series 2 SS's have the ability to have multiple tunes to suit different fuel types. So you can get your car tuned on 98 and E85 and the car will sens the type of fuel you put in and use the suitable map
however with the E85 tune you seem to get at least another 10rwkw out of it compared to 98

for example an average SS:
intake exhaust and tune using 98 250rwkw
intake exhaust and tune using E85 260rwkw

best of both worlds, but im guessing you'd use E85 unless the servo didnt have it for the extra power
the only downside is that you will use about 30% more of the E85 fuel compared to 98 - im not sure about the prices though but you will be filling up more

It's lucky it uses 30% more fuel, it looked like the guys were going to claim perpetual motion next! :blah blah:

So for 30% extra cost (allowing for equal price at pump, which it WILL be) you get a staggering 4% increase in power! Top stuff indeed!

blasto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE "Sport"wagon
That's why regular unleaded needs to be phased out. About 30% ethanol would be ideal as a minimum grade fuel because it would still work fine in existing cars. Also there is no way Ethanol could be produced in enough volume to run E85 in all cars on the road which is why I think 30% would be ideal. Dreaming I know!

Dude, there is seriously no way known that your "Nissan 200SX S14" is going to run on e85 OR e30. So how will it "work fine in existing cars"???

I fail to understand your logic, or the e85 juggernaut's for that matter...

brad87

Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan 200SX S14
Dude, there is seriously no way known that your "Nissan 200SX S14" is going to run on e85 OR e30. So how will it "work fine in existing cars"???

I fail to understand your logic, or the e85 juggernaut's for that matter...

Lol my S14 is running just fine on E85 thanks. I have 4x 200L drums of it in Dad's shed. That's tuned for it obviously. I'm not talking about performance tuned cars. Just the everyday get from a to b cars designed to run on 91.

At least 95% of cars designed to run on 91 RON regular would have no trouble running a 30% ethanol/70% 95 RON mix. Yes they will run about 7-10% leaner but the extra heat capacity of ethanol will cool better and the much higher octane will ensure 100% safe operation. Obviously advancing the timing and getting fuel mixtures perfect will get the most of it but I don't believe any harm will be done running it as-is.

I'm not saying that forced induction cars that are designed to run on 95 RON minimum would be fine. That's why straight 98 RON would have to stay for some time.

What I'm trying to say is it's very hard for new car manufacturers to move forward as long as 91 RON ULP stays and any engine that can run on E85 that can ALSO run on 91 RON ULP is not going to be anywhere near using E85 to it's potential.

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
hell there are people running their diesels on chip fat lol, sure it would work ok.

johnnyv8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve calais v a6 v8
Hi i have a 07 v8 calais with the L98 engine its tuned for 98 fuel . Can i just put E85 in it or does it need parts changed in fuel system ?

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
if its a series 1 you will need fuel system parts changed and a tune to run it

IMCRZY

YO!
Reaction score
Members Ride
88 VL Excutive Turbo, 00 VT Olympic Edition
No matter what there would have to be some sort of non bio fuel offered as cars pre 97 or so (not being exact) that cant run ethanol as it is detramental to rubbers used in fuel systems & steel fuel tanks and what not, i dont see people going out & changing **** like that on 20yo cars

tomholzy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS II
It's lucky it uses 30% more fuel, it looked like the guys were going to claim perpetual motion next! :blah blah:

So for 30% extra cost (allowing for equal price at pump, which it WILL be) you get a staggering 4% increase in power! Top stuff indeed!

Mate, the servo near me sells E85, today the prices were:
98 was $1.47
E85 was $1.10

if you cant do the maths thats 25% cheaper...which means its virtually the same price given youll use 25-30% more...
check your facts before you comment next time...