Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

e85

monkey

Donating Member
Reaction score
Apologies if a bit off topic but what other cars do people know of currently running around or on their way that are capable of running this fuel or a mixture like the commodore can, from factory? It would be a shame if it all disappeared because of low demand.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
Are they trying to phase this fuel out? Holden seems to have removed capability on new models and it seems to be getting harder to get.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Apologies if a bit off topic but what other cars do people know of currently running around or on their way that are capable of running this fuel or a mixture like the commodore can, from factory? It would be a shame if it all disappeared because of low demand.

Over the past three and a half years I've visited flex fuel pumps around 350 times, number of times I've seen a VE maybe three, never seen a VF. The demand is increasing going by new pumps listed on United website, but not from the current demographic of new model Commodore owners.

Are they trying to phase this fuel out? Holden seems to have removed capability on new models and it seems to be getting harder to get.

No, there's a lot of backlash from foreign oil, always a queue at the local pump, never once seen the pump removed (seen the whole station disappear though).

Just to be clear, you can't remove the functionality from our car. I think perhaps it's not a priority because Caltex is not doing co-promotion like previous, same fundamental reason VF gets shitty Conti Tyres - GM doesn't make corporate brand partnerships / statement of direction for altruistic reasons.

Bottom line is that it is much cheaper to make, tax free, and production is not subject to price volatility. It was selling for less than a dollar three years ago and the price has nothing to do with price of foreign oil barrels or price manipulation and gouging at retail.

The whole supply chain suffers from a lack of heavyweight PR from stakeholders, including Holden.

Caltex has committed the 20¢ thing until 2020, and United has invested heavily (for a bargain) in ensuring supply and promoting demand from the race / performance sector.

offshore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Its starting to piss me off and thinking of going back to 98. There is only two Uniteds in Canberra and bugger all around the surrounding country side and south coast and its not worth the bloody hassle. Ill loose about 50 rwkw but the convenience is worth it ive already got to much grunt for the street anyway so who cares.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Its starting to piss me off and thinking of going back to 98. There is only two Uniteds in Canberra and bugger all around the surrounding country side and south coast and its not worth the bloody hassle. Ill loose about 50 rwkw but the convenience is worth it ive already got to much grunt for the street anyway so who cares.

Probably one of the rare few who could afford to lose 50rwkw! But your tune is flex anyway, doesn't matter.

Caltex at Tuggeranong, United at Fyshwick, two going north - Sutton, Amaroo, Going south there's Michelago.

Canberra to first United at Minto is 230km, Tempe is 270km, then cheapest ethanol in Australia, spoilt for choice.

Canberra (Amaroo) to Melbourne (Whittlesea) is 600km, or United race fuel at Dooreen is 624km.

On long runs between fills where you can't make it on one tank you are best off filling up just before halfway coz you will get most of the knock resistance and cooling still at 50% ethanol. Only drama I've ever come across eastern seaboard is VIC -> SA border Riverina / Riverlands Mildura to Murray Bridge. Also haven't been far south or east of Cooma (East Gippsland) coz there is nothing south or east of Cooma (East Gippsland).

There's just one servo on the northside of Brisbane and takes me 10 mins from home.

Last edited:

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
You come to Whittlesea? My home town
I've noticed only United petrol stations are around melb, none from there to port fairy

offshore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Probably one of the rare few who could afford to lose 50rwkw! But your tune is flex anyway, doesn't matter.

Caltex at Tuggeranong, United at Fyshwick, two going north - Sutton, Amaroo, Going south there's Michelago.

Canberra to first United at Minto is 230km, Tempe is 270km, then cheapest ethanol in Australia, spoilt for choice.

Canberra (Amaroo) to Melbourne (Whittlesea) is 600km, or United race fuel at Dooreen is 624km.

On long runs between fills where you can't make it on one tank you are best off filling up just before halfway coz you will get most of the knock resistance and cooling still at 50% ethanol. Only drama I've ever come across eastern seaboard is VIC -> SA border Riverina / Riverlands Mildura to Murray Bridge. Also haven't been far south or east of Cooma (East Gippsland) coz there is nothing south or east of Cooma (East Gippsland).

There's just one servo on the northside of Brisbane and takes me 10 mins from home.

Its not flex. I was one of the first VF cars along with a car at VCM to use the twin intank squash performance return style fuel system and VCM still havnt ironed out the issues yet adapting the flex fuel sensor for the twin pump setup. So mine was setup to only use United E85 we didnt want to risk the engine using Caltex since it varies in the amount of E85. The factory flex setup is still on the car but disconnected.

When they work it which they may already have Ill get it back on flex and reassess it then

offshore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Also Amaroo doesnt have E85 anymore and yes ive been there pulled up expecting to get it but no longer there.

Noeleter

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Equipe Sportwagon
B

With only one servo on Brisbane Northside, seems to suggest not a lot of people using it. Or alternatively if it was more widely available more would use it.