Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

e85

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
I just purchased my Redline 2 weeks ago and it came with a tune, exhaust and OTR , I thought I'd give the E85 ago but decided to ring the tuner and check if it would be ok and he advised me that it wouldn't be as it was tuned for 98. Is this common? I am old school so I really know sfa about the new cars. Thanks.
a tune on 98 and e85 are different parts of the tune where the base tune is petrol and then the sliding change in ethanol from petrol 0% to 85% ethanol changes with the variable maps in the tune, so if the ethanol side hasnt been tuned then it will still be standard so u will have gains but just not optimized to suit yet, unless the tuner zeroed out data on the ethanol maps then i would not run it...

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
My sv6 is just be turned for 95 and will run just as good with 98.
On to my second tank of E85 and will get a tune for that next.

I found every though it is not tuned yet for E85 it has a bit more grunt so after the E85 tune it will run much better.

So with the Flex Fuel E85 you should still notice a improvement.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I`m just going by feel of the car.
To me pre E85 tune I can feel of got a bit more pickup.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
My sv6 is just be turned for 95 and will run just as good with 98.
On to my second tank of E85 and will get a tune for that next.

I found every though it is not tuned yet for E85 it has a bit more grunt so after the E85 tune it will run much better.

So with the Flex Fuel E85 you should still notice a improvement.

Just an enquiry.....I have an VF 2013 SV6 and always run it on 95,98 Octane Caltex/Coles....how much does it cost to get a tune every cracker day for a retune for E85,E10, 95,98 etc....I think PIR4TE owns a sugar cane farm as he is always flogging E85....just a thought.:kiss:

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
Just an enquiry.....I have an VF 2013 SV6 and always run it on 95,98 Octane Caltex/Coles....how much does it cost to get a tune every cracker day for a retune for E85,E10, 95,98 etc....I think PIR4TE owns a sugar cane farm as he is always flogging E85....just a thought.:kiss:

................................... wut?

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
OK here we go.
First remote tune from Oztrack Steve Bennett is my tuner comes with great reviews on JC aswell.
https://www.oztrack.com.au/
I asked my questions on ebay and left my mobile number and he rang me.

First running 95 car was tuned (didn`t need to tune with 98 as tunes are close)
You read tunes and log new tunes till it is right about 5 tunes for me.
I`m ready to log E85 File and sent to Steve to give my the first tune and start the process all over again.
Don`t bother with E10 if you are going to tune and run E85 you would like the performance.

This is what I wanted motor running well which it is.
E85 for trips and grunt.
Sent him an email.

Hope that helps

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I think PIR4TE owns a sugar cane farm as he is always flogging E85....just a thought.:kiss:

No mate he grows grapes but I bet he tying to find a way to run his car on wine lol

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
a tune on 98 and e85 are different parts of the tune where the base tune is petrol and then the sliding change in ethanol from petrol 0% to 85% ethanol changes with the variable maps in the tune, so if the ethanol side hasnt been tuned then it will still be standard so u will have gains but just not optimized to suit yet, unless the tuner zeroed out data on the ethanol maps then i would not run it...
Thanks for the explanation. Regards Paul.

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
My Car is tuned for e85 and petrol. It's a torque monster on e85 but runs smoother. On petrol has more of a burble and rough v8 feel.