Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

e85

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
i have actually been interested to get a dyno reado out on 91 / 98 / e85 to see what the w310 pack actully puts down vs a friends custom tune. but specificlly with the e85

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Yes, dumb people don't understand what it means.

For a lot of people who FULLY UNDERSTAND e85 there are no benefits.

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Haha whatever just let it go, no time for ignorant shitstirrers.

Then how about you stop? There's a thought... Take your own advice.

Banjo79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sportwagon
So I filled up the beast with E85 when I found the one servo that sells it where I live. Hate the higher fuel usage on my 98 tune. Ok, that's the bad stuff out of the way..........
This fuel really perks up the engine. It has a noticeable power increase, I'd take a stab at 3-5%, the engine runs a little smoother and starts with more ease, not to say it didn't start easy on 98, but when you turn the key it just starts with more eagerness and authority, f*$k it just starts easier.
Now, on the way home today, unfortunately in a 50 zone I noticed that the auto can get into 5th at just 54-55kph (nearly 10kph less than when running 98) and if I slowed gently I could cruise at around 42kph/900rpm. I think someone posted similar findings, either in this thread or another. Getting into higher gears earlier may offset, to what degree I don't know, the higher usage of E85, again talking on a stock or 98 tune. I'll never find out cause I like to sit at a moderate rev range and gun it where isolated/possible/safe/legal but for those that are happy to lope along you may just claw a little bit of the value back. This, of course is assuming it will go into 6th proportionately early, I'll take a detour and find out tomorrow.
Now to finish my ramble, what happens in the retune to adjust it from 98 to E85? Do you retain the power but gain some economy? If so, how is this done mechanically speaking? Also, would the price with most tuners be the full dyno tune price or is it a quick and easy finger dance and its done, I guess similar to an AFM disable - easy, cheap and quick?
I am going to continue to use this fuel in the mean time, unless anyone thinks It will cause problems since KPM retuned for 98. Guess maybe I should check with KPM. Anyone on the stock tune could run this fuel 100% safely obviously if your cars E85 compatible. Anyway peeps, get out there and put a couple of tanks through and post up the findings........

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
OK I'm starting a blog

This fuel really perks up the engine. It has a noticeable power increase, I'd take a stab at 3-5%, the engine runs a little smoother and starts with more ease, not to say it didn't start easy on 98, but when you turn the key it just starts with more eagerness and authority, f*$k it just starts easier.
Now, on the way home today, unfortunately in a 50 zone I noticed that the auto can get into 5th at just 54-55kph (nearly 10kph less than when running 98) and if I slowed gently I could cruise at around 42kph/900rpm. I think someone posted similar findings, either in this thread or another. Getting into higher gears earlier may offset, to what degree I don't know, the higher usage of E85, again talking on a stock or 98 tune. I'll never find out cause I like to sit at a moderate rev range and gun it where isolated/possible/safe/legal but for those that are happy to lope along you may just claw a little bit of the value back. This, of course is assuming it will go into 6th proportionately early

E85 can deliver more power than petrol at a given engine speed. Also a transmission would need to downshift with petrol to deliver the necessary power, but will remain in a higher gear with E85.

There would be an additional fuel penalty associated with the higher engine speed for petrol when a transmission downshift is necessary.

Another example of how E85 provides an additional efficiency advantage is through its lower exhaust temperature. Our engine tune uses a fuel enrichment technique to lower the temperature of the exhaust at high loads in order to protect exhaust system and other engine components from thermal damage, imposing a fuel consumption penalty.

Comparing the exhaust temperatures of E85 and petrol at two load conditions (2500 rpm WOT and 80 kPa throttled), the exhaust temperature of petrol is higher than E85 by 20-30°C at conditions where spark advance is not pulled (knock-limited).

During knock-limited operation for petrol, when spark timing is retarded, the temperature difference with E85 increases to as much as 100°C. Because the exhaust temperature of E85 is significantly lower than petrol, fuel enrichment to cool the temperature of the exhaust is not needed as frequently, giving E85 an additional efficiency advantage on a vehicle system level.

Quantifying these effects on real-world fuel economy for E85 and petrol under various driving cycles and transmission configurations is fascinating to me, and I've started a blog on it. It think although quite technical this car, this place, right now, will be worthwhile nonetheless.

HemiMagic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV REDLINE, CL Charger, VK Charger, Motorsport
I don't know much about tuning or the E85. What I do know is that while more fun, E85 at 33 litres per 100 ks, is not something I do often.

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
So I filled up the beast with E85 when I found the one servo that sells it where I live. Hate the higher fuel usage on my 98 tune. Ok, that's the bad stuff out of the way..........
Now, on the way home today, unfortunately in a 50 zone I noticed that the auto can get into 5th at just 54-55kph (nearly 10kph less than when running 98) and if I slowed gently I could cruise at around 42kph/900rpm. I think someone posted similar findings, either in this thread or another. Getting into higher gears earlier may offset, to what degree I don't know, the higher usage of E85, again talking on a stock or 98 tune. I'll never find out cause I like to sit at a moderate rev range and gun it where isolated/possible/safe/legal but for those that are happy to lope along you may just claw a little bit of the value back. This, of course is assuming it will go into 6th proportionately early, I'll take a detour and find out tomorrow.
Now to finish my ramble, what happens in the retune to adjust it from 98 to E85? Do you retain the power but gain some economy? If so, how is this done mechanically speaking? Also, would the price with most tuners be the full dyno tune price or is it a quick and easy finger dance and its done, I guess similar to an AFM disable - easy, cheap and quick?
I am going to continue to use this fuel in the mean time, unless anyone thinks It will cause problems since KPM retuned for 98. Guess maybe I should check with KPM. Anyone on the stock tune could run this fuel 100% safely obviously if your cars E85 compatible. Anyway peeps, get out there and put a couple of tanks through and post up the findings........

:nopity::blah blah:

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
:nopity::blah blah:

Another constructive post :yarr:

I don't know much about tuning or the E85. What I do know is that while more fun, E85 at 33 litres per 100 ks, is not something I do often.

You realize that no matter what technical reason leads you to that conclusion, logic suggests your economy on petrol under same driving conditions would be 26 l/100km. The consumption is not the point, torque, power, saving money and the environment is.
Today same 100 km on e85 costs $32.50 whereas less power and fun more pollution from foreign-sourced, outmoded petrol would cost at least $7 more. e85 comes from sorghum plantations out near Dalby.
Without iron ore being sold to the Chinese we are screwed, support domestic efforts (especially QLD!) with these easy yet smarter choices that drop in your lap (BTW your V8 ain't a Prius, and that's a good thing).