Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Early 05 Calais V.s LATE 05/06 Calais

Buckd1ch

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 SV6 A6
I have an 04 vz sv6 and it's got active select in it. So unless Calais didn't get it
Until later I'm pretty sure all the 190's had A/S.

peterrobo

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VZ Calais 190kw
I have a January, 2006 built Calais V6 and it has all the niceties that existed in the earlier 2005 Calais. The reversing mirrors are included as is the glove-box light, active select for the 5 speed transmission, power operated front seats etc.

The main difference is that 2006 build vehicles were down 3 kw in engine power due to compliance with the later Euro emission specs (Euro 3 I think) hence the reason why Holden changed the engine covers from the ones that had "Alloytec 190" moulded into them and replaced them with plain covers that just had "Alloytec". Also the standard wheel/tyre combination was 17" x 8" rims fitted with 225x50x17 tyres.

The so-called leather trimmed seats are actually leather only on the faces where you sit and lean back. All other faces (sides, headrests etc are an imitation leather made out of vinyl with a webbed cloth backing. It's a pretty good imitation to the undiscerning eye but still it's a major cost cutter for GMH which puts it on a path of pissing-off many previously loyal Holden owners like myself.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
When exactly did the 190kw drop the 3kw? As I have noticed some built after Jul 05 have the engine badge missing by the indicator light and that three styles of engine covers exist before any 06 model were built. I also know that there are MY06 when exactly did they start building/referring to them as this? I have included 3 photos of the different covers.

92793746.jpg

late05.jpg

11059498.jpg

The last photo shows that (correct me if I am wrong) the intake where the air is feed into the engine looks to be a cast alloy and is silver down the middle where the Holden logo sits and the first photo is all black which shows the same parts in black but looks plastic where the Holden logo is sitting, is it really plastic as to me the later motor looks to be made out of better material? I could be wrong here, any helpful comments appreciated.

That’s an interesting point you make about the leather seats. Have they been like this from the first 04 VZ model or something Holden introduced in 2006 to save some coin?