Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Earthing off your ecotec O2 sensors

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
G,day lads, well been talking with another member on here (VS_pete_1) and he passed on some info on how to upgrade the earth on the o2 sensors, wich is supposed to give better economy ect, well i did it today and while i cannot vouch as yet if i will reap any gains it was not hard to do, and was not expensive! here is a list of the tools/products needed:
Solder iron
solder
15amp wire available from repco on a roll for $5 (you will only need one roll as its 4m in length)
EYE connections also from repco about $4
electrical tape
needle nose pliers (for crimping)
side cutters (for cutting wire lol)
and if you have them a pair of wire splicers
allan key to suit top plenum cover bolts
Ok here is the instructions sent to me from VS_Pete_1 (your a champion mate:thumbsup: )
#################################################
Remove engine cover – 4 x 10mm nuts.

Standing along side LHF guard look down the back of the engine area to locate the o2 sensor in the engine exhaust pie. Follow wires back to the connector and unplug the connector. In the main harness side there will be 4 x wires (2 will be Black).

Without cutting wires completely (pain to repair if you do) strip back approx 5mm of insulation on the 2 black wire in the main engine harness. With a separate piece of wire – approx 400 – 500mm long (you will have to buy some unless you have some laying around at home) approx 1 to 1.5mm strip both ends approx 20mm. Twist one end of the new wire around the 2 black ones in the engine harness (the one’s you’ve just striped back) to join all 3 wires together. Solder if you’d like but at least use some electrical tape to cover. Reconnect main harness back to o2 sensor.

On the other end of the new wire crimp / solder an eye terminal (you’ll have to buy a couple with hole diameter approx 6mm (from memory the allen key bolts into the top of the plenumn cover are approx 5mm in size – double check before buying terminals).

Once terminal fitted to wire remove 1 allen key bolt from plenumn cover (the plate under the engine cover). I’d recommend a bolt closest to the o2 sensor (back rh corner when looking from the front). Fit bolt through eye terminal and retighten bolt – approx 8nm.

Carry out same repairs to drivers side and once done refit engine cover and then drive vehicle as per normal. There is no need to pull BCM fuse out to reset fuel trims etc.
#####################################################
Now when it came for me to do it, i did cut the wires and resoldered them as i found it easier, but each 2 their own:) anyway here is some pics to help guide you along!!

Attachments

• 100_1616.jpg
    100_1616.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 1,513
  • 100_1617.jpg
    100_1617.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 1,482
  • 100_1618.jpg
    100_1618.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 1,833
  • 100_1619.jpg
    100_1619.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 1,456
  • 100_1621.jpg
    100_1621.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 1,770
  • 100_1622.jpg
    100_1622.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 3,746

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
and the rest of the pics!

Attachments

• 100_1627.jpg
    100_1627.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,359
  • 100_1626.jpg
    100_1626.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 856
  • 100_1625.jpg
    100_1625.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 963
  • 100_1624.jpg
    100_1624.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 805
  • 100_1623.jpg
    100_1623.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 924
  • 100_1629.jpg
    100_1629.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,137

wingwang99

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Voodoo Sv6
I'm not completely understanding...Did you attatch 2 wires and ground them or just the one? I'm assuming just the one, i just got confused when it said to do the same to rhs.

Let us know how economy goes...

Good write up though :thumbsup:

cxcxcxvcvcvc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
I'm not completely understanding...Did you attatch 2 wires and ground them or just the one? I'm assuming just the one, i just got confused when it said to do the same to rhs.

Let us know how economy goes...

Good write up though :thumbsup:
G,day mate!
Each 02 sensor will need its own earth! so there is 2 earths one on each side of the car! if this does not make sense lol then let me know and i will take more pics:)
as for the economy side of things well im not sure yet but will let you know:thumbsup:

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon

B3ND3R

Reaction score
there is a holden fix for this.
in the right hand bank o2 sensor, just cut the pink wire.

there is a heater element that runs at 12v constant, and is earthed at the same point as the o2 sensor which is variable depending on o2 levels. this causes interfereance and gives a false o2 reading, resulting in poor fuel economy.

the earthing described above is a bit of a myth, i have heard it from a few places but no conlucive evidence.

also, if you are doing this, you must buy 2 brand new o2 sensors.

Tony.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VUII SS
there is a holden fix for this.
in the right hand bank o2 sensor, just cut the pink wire.

there is a heater element that runs at 12v constant, and is earthed at the same point as the o2 sensor which is variable depending on o2 levels. this causes interfereance and gives a false o2 reading, resulting in poor fuel economy.

the earthing described above is a bit of a myth, i have heard it from a few places but no conlucive evidence.

also, if you are doing this, you must buy 2 brand new o2 sensors.

Are you saying that if you went to holden they would just cut that pink wire? Lol.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
cutting the pink wire is the cheap solution. re-earthing is a better solution. i would do it at the ecu end however.

there was a thread some time ago where a test was done on a members ride with a plug in diagnostic tool before and after doing the earthing mod at the ecu. before it could be seem that the O2 readings were inacurate (outside the normal operating voltage). after the mod the O2 sensors could be clearly seen to be operating in the correct range as the AFR rolled around the stoich ratio. the member had been through a number of failed O2 sensors before hand.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Hi there.
Thanks to hsvpgts (Adam) he passed this info on to me after I sent him an email.
Thanks to cxcxcxvcvcvc for adding pics and write up.

Last edited:

burnsy150

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs 96 acclaim
i have after market o2 sensors which have two blue and two white wires?
would i cut the wire in the actual engine wiring loom or cut the wire on the o2 sensor side of the loom (before the clip)...and as they are different colours on each side of the clip i'd cut the wire that is opposite to the pink wire on the o2 sensor loom? i.e i mean the blue wire lines up with the pink wire so id cut the blue wire