Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Earthing points?

Brin

GOT MANG?
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
Something fully mangin'
Some of you may know that my car has been giving me hell lately and leaving me stranded at the worse possible times. I replaced the battery and then the starter motor to find out it was just a stupid earth problem all along :bang:

Where are some good places to create more earth points from the engine to the bay and how would I go about this?

Also, my alternator gives a correct reading of 14v, but when the engine is revved it jumps around anywhere from 6v to 16v.. Why? :whistling

Cheers boys

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.

Tom_1569

Ecotech Power
Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 SR5 Pusslux
If its jumping from 6-16v its shagged, either the alternator or the regulator. It should read a constant 14.8V even at idle, occassionly they read a little lower (not lower then then 14) at idle. If its jumping around that I would be trying another alternator and reg. Are the cables from the Battery to Alt in good condition? and joined firmly no corrosion?

camstatic

I'm back babeh.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS
Sounds like you could have a dodgey sensor wire too, the thin wire that goes from the alt to the battery, try replacing that with similar gauge wire, even just as a temporary thing and see if it settles.

Convenient earth points on the V6 are mostly in inconvenient places, there is a nice thread on top of the tensioner assembly that suits well for a single 4ga to the master cyl bracket though. :) (close to alternator cable can be hidden under the top radiator hose for half its journey, and the assembly has multiple bolting points to the block, perfect)