Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Easiest way to get an LSD

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Hey guys

I've got a VY series II V6 -getting tired of a single spinner..

Whats the easiest way to get an LSD. can i replace a part within the standard diff or do i need to replace the entire diff - or more??

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
entire diff with a 2nd hand one would be prob cheapest way, it'll cost more if you goto a diff shop.

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Whats involved with a minispool?

Is there much labour $ to get someone to swap diffs over?

alternatively is it hard to do ureself and whats tools and used?

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer
You'll have to ask someone who has one but basically they are fitted to an open diff and they make both wheels spin at the same speed constantly.

MIG.29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S2
They make quite a racket when turning corners, good for straight line take off though!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
here we go again. the minispool Vs LSD debate. do a search. a used LSD will possibly be stuffed and require a rebuild thats $$$. depending on what you want to do with it will dictate what will be the better option. if it's a daily, like mine and there is a chance the missus will drive it. get the LSD. ifyou only drive it, love doing burnouts, especially dounuts then the minispool will be better. minispools aren't difficult to drive once you know how.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
all you need to do is find the complete diff. Jack and stand your car, unbolt your axles and tail shaft, drop your rear diff mounts then undo the 4 bolts holding the diff onto the craddle, with jack underneath the diff of course.

then reversal with your new diff unit.

thats the simple way, no worrying about oils and shims tight enough or too tight. buy it, then take it to a diff joint to get them to rebuild worst comes to worst before you install it. of piss it off and buy another one. thats the easiest way! :p

Sebastien

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II 3.8
Minispool sounds like a welded diff, i assume the attraction is its stronger?

I'll probably stick to looking for an LSD. Im not going to be doing nuts but i do give the car alot of stick

Cheers for the replies - Anyone know some good places to keep an eye open for a diff in Perth? I'm stalking through Ebay but not much there atm

Beny

Reaction score
Website
s654.photobucket.com
Members Ride
VS Commy V6
Dont go the mini spool unless u own a tyre shop lol u will rip a good set of tyres by just driving normaly i was in the same position as u a couple months ago i bought a lsd centre off of ebay with 3.45 gears for 400 buks all reco and put it in myself if u have acces to a shed with a pit or even better a hoist and if ur not a clutz with cars u can do it ur self its really easy.