Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[VL] EASY $30 DIY Cold Air Induction!

JST-23Z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL
Cold air intake is a basic way to gain a little bit more power and efficiency.
The idea is simple, the colder the air into the engine the better because the colder the air the more dense it is. (Unlike the hot air in the engine bay)

All the things you will need you can get from Bunnings or most hardware store

I bought:

1. A 90mm stormwater pipe that was 90mm diameter - $5.30
2. 2 90mm stormwater "Female and Female" 45deg bends - $1.51 each
3. silicon (Bond & Seal) - $5.74
4. 3/16 washers (50 pack) - $3.13
5. 3/16 nut and bolts (20 pack) $3.30
6. 90mm hanging bracket (get 2 in a pack but i used only 1) - $8.46
7. 90-105mm steel hose clamp - $4.46

Total $33.41

You will also need some assorted hand tools.
Read through to find out.

Step 1.
I took the top half of the air box off and left the bottom, then marked where I was going to drill through the hole already in the bottom of the box which is right above the drain hole in the guard... So I could drill through it without it pushing through I screwed some self drilling screws through the tabs.
AAA031.jpg

Step 2.
Then I drilled through the tab on the mark that I put there before (this will act as a guide for the whole saw)
Then I refitted the air box.
AAA033.jpg

AAA034.jpg

Step 3.
With an 89mm Hole saw cut through the bottom of the air box. The 90mm pipe will be a tight fit so you will probly have to file some off around the edges for a nice tight fit
AAA035.jpg

After filed it’s an air-tight fit
AAA038.jpg

AAA039.jpg

Step 4.
Now using a 103mm Hole saw cut through the guard using the pilot hole you drilled before (Make sure you use a good quality hole saw or you will have a lot of trouble and chew the teeth off the saw)
With a 103mm hole it allows for movement without hitting or vibrating on the body of the car.
AAA036.jpg

AAA037.jpg

Step 5.
Dummy up the pipes to how you want. I had three lengths,
They were aprox:300mm
150mm
70mm

The 300mm pipe goes from the guard to the first 45deg bend then the 70mm one goes between that and the second 45deg bend and finally the 150mm pipe goes up into the air box
AAA044.jpg

AAA046.jpg

Step 6. When your happy with the way your pipes are angled and setup. Glue them together and work out a suitable place to mount the bracket, and twist or bend to suit.
AAA050.jpg

AAA051.jpg

AAA058.jpg

Step 7.
Now with the box, make to right angle brackets tho support the pipe inside the box… rivet one side to the bottom of the box. At the same time you car cut a piece of metal to fill in the original air duct hole. Rivet that over the hole and put silicon around the edges (if you do it on the inside of the box you can paint the outside, cause the paint will come off the silicon.
AAA052.jpg

AAA053.jpg

Step 8.
To keep it less obvious paint it black. (I also think it looks better)
AAA048.jpg

AAA055.jpg

Step 9.
After its all dry, I put a bit of flyscreen over the end to prevent big things like bugs and rocks getting in. then you can bolt it all up and make sure its all secure.
AAA056.jpg

AAA057.jpg

AAA059.jpg

Step 10.
Put the rest of the air duct back on, then drive and enjoy… for best results use a high flow air filter (stock VLs use A360 filters)

If you need any help or better pics pm me

heres a link to cai on wikipedia to tell you about the advantages

NOTE:
I’m not held responsible for any of this that gets put into your car… it is your choice to make this system and your problem if you get defected/booked

Also for any injury you sustain or damage done to your car while fitting/fitted this to your car!

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
Good mod this I did thid to my old vl

D-Man

All over it...
Reaction score
Website
www.nextdigital.com
Members Ride
99 VT Calais II v6
say it was a heavily raining day - what implications are there having the CAI pipe at the front of the car etc and water getting into the system?

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
I might also add that you can actually buy mesh screens that will fit directly onto the end of the pipe. And another tip.. go scab around local building sites and you might get lucky and find everything you need.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
Haha, i don't think that this is the response that he was expecting.

I'll stick to my CAI that goes over the radiator.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
good mod in my opinion i have similar just flexible pipe instead so do so many others on here and the other forum.they work well if you block the airbox you can get positive pressure in the inlet so they help but if map based VN-VR its not a good idea to seal the airbox fully as airflow varies depending on head winds and speed etc making the air fuel ratio all over the show i had a rubber flap over the stock hole that would be shut in traffic at the lights and blow open at speed to stop it building pressure.works great.even greenfoam has one :D

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I don't have mine sealed tho, for a couple of reasons

Reason 1.
It's faster at the track with the over radator one open as well (I've tried it both ways)

Reason 2.
I can drive through a swamp if I have both intakes without wrrying about stalling or water intake

Reason 3.
Don't need anymore reasons after 1. really :p

They do make more power by the way, alot more, it's also easy to talk your way into it being legal on a VN/P since HSV had one of their cars ADR approved with this hole in it. Bit harder to justify it on the other models, but the later cars are setup for over the radiator anyway