Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Easy and free fix for vz v6 engine miss (faulty ECU)

roamin

Reaction score
Hello and thank you for the handy info.

Currently i am having a injector issue on a vz that makes the car run terrible and also comes up on the dash with a check powertrain issue. I have an obd scanner which told me it was an injector circuit. When i meter across the wiring they all measure 8.5v but when i meter the brown/blue wire i get 1.2v so i take it thats my suspect wire.

Does anyone have any check power train issues after cutting and splicing? Also did anyone else have a check powertrain issue leading them to this?

Cheers

DarrylBarba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Gday mate...

I am curious about how to suss out the misfiring issue.... I have a 2004-2005 model VZ wagon Exec... and a month ago it started to shake really badly when idling and up to the 80km mark... The mechanic who checked it says the ECU had **** itself and was the reason for the misfiring which had nothing to do with the Injectors. So after replacing the ECU it still had the shakes and even after replacing the spark plugs (which hadn't been changed since 2011) it still now has the shakes. I feel i have been "taken for a ride" as i have no bloody idea and trust in the mechanics knowledge... Originally the dash showed a warning sign saying Check Drive Train .. Cost me too much already i know this thread is from a while ago so i wonder if all is still running good in regards.

Cheers
Darryl

Shadowstorm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
Hi I am keen to do this , but what do you mean by splice? My faulty cylinder is the front right if standing in front of the engine ( is that 2? ) and if it is do I just pull out wire going to cylinder 1 cut the plastic back and do the same to the faulty wire , wrap them around each other than jam it back up where cylinder wire 1 was? And will this work fine ? Thanks in advance and sorry if I sound a little nieve but I can't afford anything as I live in Australia

Shadowstorm

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz crewman
To diagnose is easy.

First disconnect each coil pack one at a time while the engine is running to find the missing cyl, replace that coil pack with another cyl's coil pack to see if the miss moves to that new cyl or stays in the same cyl.

If the miss moves then your coil pack is faulty, if it stays then and the spark plugs are good then its your inj which means your ecu has dropped out that inj due to a possible short from that coil pack.

Now to fix it without spending $1000+ on a ecu and tune

1. locate inj harness connection at the rear of intake manifold left side
2.if you look at the rear of the plug on the main harness side it should look like this.
brown/white pink/black brown/blue green red
yellow/black blue/black green/black

Cyl No.s

5 3 1 + +
6 4 2

3. Now lets say No.6 is missing, grab your test light and test No.6 wire but earth it on either the green or red power wires, the light should just stay on, you'll see after testing the other cyls that it should flash dimly.
3.now just cut No.6 (yellow/black) wire on the main harness side the splice it into No.5 wire (brown/white). its always good to splice it to the cyl earlier in the firing order eg No.2 to No.1 or No.4 to No.3. Then start engine
hi I'm keen a short vid or pic would be ace

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 5,147

pete_pumpkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 93 BT1
I just tried it after swapping coils around etc, confirming 6 is playing up. Spliced 6 into 5 aswell. Funny thing is 5 years ago I replaced coil 5. Anyhow it didn't make a difference. My elm327 doesn't seem to work either so maybe i'll buy a new one of them first before I go any further. I did buy a non contact vltage sensor but that didn't pick up anything on those cables.

edit:

Changed out injector 6, still same problem. Ordered a compatible obd2 scanner, should have it next few days.

Last edited: