Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Easy OEM VE Front Dash 12V Socket Install (Alternative to Cigarette Lighter purchase)

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
I'd buy one!

Nemo316

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SSV
Looks good, I'm going to be on the look out for one now. If anyone finds them can you please PM me too.

nils7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Ute
i bought mine off ebay, look under pontiac G8 wrecks, here are photos of the part numbers for the units. they look like they are made from GM here in australia as i believe the pontiac g8s were exported to the USA? try ordering the part number through a dealer.

IMAG0338web.jpg

IMAG0339web.jpg

nils7

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS V Ute
here are some install instructions for the orginal holden cigarette lighter accessory, most of it applies to fitting the G8 12V front socket, sorry the quality is not good, but founnd these off the net and they were useful for my install

VE_Ashtray1.jpg

VE_Ashtray2.jpg

VE_Ashtray3.jpg

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
I just did this today with help from the original poster (cheers mate) - works great. Couple of tips: I removed the plug from the 12v part and crimped on blade connectors and then clipped them on to the cigarette accessory plug that is standard in the VE. Was 3 terminals - on that plug: bottom is positive and I used the top left for the negative as the top right worked but caused interference to the picture from my reversing camera on the screen if the new 12v was used with eg phone charger. Now it is installed 12v socket only works when ignition on but also stays on when key removed for about 20 secs - same time as headlights stay on if u choose egress lighting in your set up options / I'm not a mechanic, I'm a lawyer and I had no problems doing this - took me about an hour as I had to research how to take centre Console out / I worked through the gap where this new part fits - I didn't remove the side trim line the original poster for fear of breaking clips etc when removing so was a bit fiddly but all good

Last edited:

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks for that gsh1970, where did you get the parts?

BigBoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega
Thanks for that link :), but OMG i think that is quite pricy.

gsh1970

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SSV ute XYZ XYZ
That's the wrong part: don't get the smokers kit: scroll up to original post - get the 12v accessory part