Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

easy upgrades for 308

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
hi i have a vk 5l with vl calais interior 18 inch mags lowered a fair bit and stage three heads an a cam, wat are some fairly easy upgrades to make it run better, run faster?? should i upgrade the carby to a holly or something?? or is the standard rochester 4 barrel fine??

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
www.members.westnet.com.au
Members Ride
VK EFI 5L, VK 134 Pack, LX8 Adventra, MF35 & MF50b
do a search about quaddies they handle heaps. whats the specs of the cam, what gearbox & diff, what intake manifold do you have?, how driveable do you want it?

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
yep. you need to know whats inside your engine before you can push it further.

i.e. i have NFI what a "stage 3 head" is. what cfm does it flow at what lift?

lol i have no idea either dude thats just wat i got, told an from talking to him thats wat he got told lol i got a vl cailas diff in my vc that im thinking ill take out to put in it, not sure bout the manifold, how do i tell wat sort it is would it be written on it?? i want it to be a daily sort of i only live bout three km from work so fuel spendage is not much of an issue lol how can i tell if the heads have been worked?? is the only way to take it all apart an get it tested??? the trans is just a trmatic 3 speed, should i change that or just shift kit an stally it??

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Compression and vacuum test is a good place to start to see what condition the present motor is in.

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
You may be better off doing an injection conversion on your 5L
drop the donk out do rings, bearings,timing chain & EFI cam, bolt on EFI heads & bananna injection manifold. At least you will know what it will have in it and eith EFI it will go alot better too.

You can also pick a suitable cam for the engine tot he heads you buy, just depends on your budget.

scott

squiblex

UNSEEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 308
cheers im only a second year apprentice so budjet is kinda slim lol wat sort of commpression should it be at if it was running good?? wat sort of vacum should it have?? it sat under a tree for 3 years so i need to give it a good service anyway lol not bad still for $850 haha :p

vkberlina

VK Madman
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
if you havent got any money dont fiddle with it, give it a good service like you said and leave it at that
plugs, leads, rotor button & cap, fuel, air &oil filters set the timing and just drive it.

scott