Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Easy way to test Fuel Pump

Watto_vs

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS commodore Ute
About a month ago I was driving for about an hour and a half before my car began to lose power before cutting out. I straight away attempted to start it again which I was able to do but idled poorly and engine would seem to choke when giving it any throttle. After 30 minutes was able to drive another hour without any issues. I then replaced DFI module, coils, spark plug and leads which was overdue. After that I drove the car but it felt rough and lacking power and a whirring noise coming from rear of the car (could be wrong and just over thinking) for close to an hour before it cut out again when stopped at lights. Managed to start it almost straight away and drive another 20 minutes before happening again. Once I had it running again I put it in reverse to get out of the way but was only able to drive at a rough max of 5km/h with the engine splattering a lot. Since then (several weeks ago) I managed to get it home but haven't had the time to touch it or look into it. I was thinking that fuel pump was on its way out but wondering whether there is an easy way to test or whether anyone has experienced same issue? Unfortunately don't have many tools as I've just moved, I have spanners drivers pliars etc but no specific tools with me.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
normally they work or they don't, rarely heard of the pump dying without dying for good.

could be a blocked filter, I'd start with that and go from there