Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

ebay alloy radiators

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
I'm up for a new radiator in my VH V8
I have 2 stock ones both need work dues to being 30 years old so i'm getting a new one
I can get a full alloy chinese radiator for $200 or a australian copper core for $300
are the chinese alloy ones ok?
I also have a 16in thermo fan to use and get rid of my old clutch fan, will this be ok too? or should I run dual shrouded thermos
I can get the dual shrouded thermos to suit the VH for about $190 delivered from ebay

my brother runs a small alloy radiator with 16in thermo in his v8 rx4 and it never gets hot but have heard holdens don't like thermo fans for some reason

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
have you tried repco etc,they are usually pretty good,you could always see what the other customers have said about the quality of the radiators through the feedback of the seller

thermo fans are mainly for when the cars are stopping and starting all the time,when rolling the airflow usually above walking pace is pretty good at keeping things under control

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
Full alloy Chinese radiators are ok to use in a Commodore. Just make sure its got mounting points for a fan as most don't.
Also - Ground the radiator with a thick cable to prevent stray voltage - Commodores have this in abundance. Otherwise your radiator won't last 6 months.

stockies

Bannana
Reaction score
Members Ride
G6E Turbo
personally id only ever use copper radiators. less potential headaches. they work, they have always worked and they will always work.

Until the plastic tanks split...

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
no plastic on a my VH radiator, but i have had many ford ones split, last radiator i bought was for me AU XR8 and cost me $90 for a new natrad from ebay and worked perfect
touch wood the VX radiator is still going fine after 210,000km

NPreston

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC
I have a Chinese Fenix radiator I bought off ebay in my VC track car, no issues whatsoever.
Do as Stockies said and earth it.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL Wagon
there seems to be 2 types on ebay, one with a 45 deg filler tube and one with a 90 deg filler tube, which one is the better type/brand